All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    220 wiring
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

220 wiring Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We purchased a new Kenyon 240 volt Electric grill for my lanai. We had a Jenn air electric grill that we are replacing. The Jennifer air was wired directly from wiring in the wall and was 240 volt. I did not unhook the old grill and don't know how it was wired. As I install a junction box under the cabinet, I notice that there are 4 wires coming from the wall, black, white, red and bare. The grill has flexible conduit with 3 wires, black, red and green. Any suggestions, or should I call an electrician before connecting in the junction box?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        There should be instructions on your new grill - the white and the green will both tie together to the green on the grill.

Make sure that the amperage rating for the new grill is not higher than the old.

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hey, thanks. Everything checked out as far as specs for new grill vs. old. Since there is a black, red, white and bare from wall and black, red, and green from grill, I should connect black to black, red to red, white to green and bare to ground in box??
        Thanks for the help!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        adding to Jaybee's post, if you cannot find a frame ground referenced in the new grill's wiring diagram, bare and white should be bonded to both the green of the grill and to the usual metal screw near that connection. the frame should never be left floating.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        One important addendum is that a dedicated circuit needs a disconnect within a proper working distance of the range. Hard wiring say a dryer or range is a NEC violation. But installing a proper wall outlet and cord on the range will meet the requirement of that disconnect. This is a requirement that provide safe working conditions for future service work.
        As it has not been actually part of the discussion I thought I would chime in. Hope all is proper. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1576 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        being outside, a splashproof disconnect would be in order. the ones sold for air conditioner outside units are just dandy, and unfused sell for about $12 around here. since you have it breakered, that's all you need.

unless local code requires a GFI protected disconnect, which is closer to $60, usual application is hot tubs.

(lanai means balcony or patio on the mainland)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I was wondering about that lanai for sure. Big Grin

Posts: 1576 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        IMPHO lanais should have tropical plants blooming year round. so I can't have one back of my house, where the snow is burying the chips of eggshell the blue jays are wild about that we set on the drink rail.

sigh. where's global warming when I need it? (lows to 12 below Fahrenheit again this week)

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by swschrad:
        being outside, a splashproof disconnect would be in order. the ones sold for air conditioner outside units are just dandy, and unfused sell for about $12 around here. since you have it breakered, that's all you need.

unless local code requires a GFI protected disconnect, which is closer to $60, usual application is hot tubs.

(lanai means balcony or patio on the mainland)

True fact as you point out that a weatherproof disconnect would be required to be NEC compliant.