All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Need to remove a light switch
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Need to remove a light switch Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Okay, so I have very basic electrical knowledge. I have replaced light fixtures, ceiling fans, light switches & dimmers, outlets. all successfully. I now have a light switch that controls an outlet that my TV and internet is plugged in to. I'd like to get rid of the switch so that its not accidentally switched off while in use. I went out and bought a blank to cover the opening for where the switch was. I shut off the power and unscrewed the switch. I thought it would be simple and I would just take the two wires the (hot lead and wire going to outlet) and tie them together with a wire nut. But what I found was the supply wire wasn't cut, but was stripped in the middle and wrapped around the screw on the switch. Can i just wrap the wire going to the outlet around that wire and tape it with electrical tape? so it would be a T connection? what are my other options?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        you could cut the wire where it is stripped then join it back together including any wire you need for power to your accessories with a wire nut (or, I'm not sure this is legal ) Create a jumper from the input to the switch and the output of the switch. Then it wouldn't matter how the switch was positioned

Posts: 2584 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Yup, either just cut the wire where it's looped, strip back both ends and use a wire nut to connect both those pieces plus the top end tail from the switch. Then the switch is totally out of the system and you can install the blank plate.

Or, just crimp the 'loop' tightly, add in the top switch wire and use a wire nut to hold them all together.

Jaybee

Posts: 10479 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by nona:
        you could cut the wire where it is stripped then join it back together including any wire you need for power to your accessories with a wire nut (or, I'm not sure this is legal ) Create a jumper from the input to the switch and the output of the switch. Then it wouldn't matter how the switch was positioned

Cutting the stripped wire back to the bare copper and making a pigtail that supplies hot leads to whatever is needed in that box is legal.
        That loopy setup the OP described is not so legal. {Have run across from time to time}. Not that I could quote the NEC listing prohibiting it off the top of my brainbox. Might be that little known Faber College constitutional codicil about "neat and workmanship like manner". Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1578 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post