All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Hanging ceiling fan from odd junction box
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Hanging ceiling fan from odd junction box Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have hung several ceiling fans before but I am not sure how to attach the base plate to this style of junction box... Anyone have any insight on this type, it does not seem to have any holes for me to mount the base plate to it. I am guessing this style sits in the joist?

Thanks

Photo

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Got access above it?
        If so I'd change it to a different fan rated box.

joecaption

Posts: 18039 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        No access from above

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You will either need to replace the box with one that is able to hold the fan load or install the fan base in such a way that it is firmly attached to a ceiling joist.

Between the weight and constant movement, ceiling fans need a pretty secure attachment point.

Jaybee

Posts: 10478 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        According to my builder, this is a fan rated junction box. Just not sure what to correct way to connect the plate is.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        To be a fan rated box, it will need two screw ports that are the full depth of the box. These will be on the outside perimeter of the box. Any chance that they are covered up by drywall?

Jaybee

Posts: 10478 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        And they would be 10-32 screw holes.
        What's he expect you to use sky hooks to connect it?

joecaption

Posts: 18039 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:
        To be a fan rated box, it will need two screw ports that are the full depth of the box. These will be on the outside perimeter of the box. Any chance that they are covered up by drywall?

That is what I was thinking as well. And it may be fan rated after all. Not that plastic or fiberglass is my first option. Looks like the type of box that attaches to a joist or rafter allowing for the fixture to center in the room properly. The volume needed for the "box fill" is purposely offset by design. Wink

If this is a fan box print stamped into the body of the box will be present with fan rated info per the NEC.... Or Google the printed make & model number for al the info you may need. Good luck...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1578 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post