All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Dimmer switch backwards/Upsidown
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Dimmer switch backwards/Upsidown Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi All,

I've installed a dimmer switch as shown. It's just running one LED ceiling light. Older home, no ground, and have 1 white and 1 black coming out of the wall.

The dimmer switch has a ground wire, and 3 available screws (gold and reddish on one side, and one gold on the other side) I've tried every combination aside from putting the 2 wires on one of the same terminals (I read that somewhere but don't want to try it yet)

The issue, it works with a black and white wire on the same side (gold and reddish terminals) but it's upsidown, so I said hey... I'll just turn the unit upsidown, but then the dimmer switch works in reverse and the switch itself is correct on/off (on being up) and it's also on the wrong side. This isn't correct, but I could live with it. Wrong type of switch? Better way to wire this?

The images attached are the switch upsidown.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jun 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Switch photo.
        (Dimmer slider should be on the right side) In order to be correct and face up.

Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        3 set screws, is this a 3 way switch? {In a normal 3 way switch that type can be used as a single pole switch, no one does because mainly of the cost factor}. But 3 way dimmers have master and slave type set ups so I wonder.
        List the make and model number and that will help this situation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1552 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Here's a couple more.
        It looks like it's made for 3 way or single.
        Instructions were really short, I tried their methods but it didn't get me too far.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Easiest to go back and just get a 2-way switch. No way to get that wrong. With enough trial and error, you should be able to find a combination to use the 3-way switch as a 2-way but if you can return the 3-way the 2-way is a little cheaper.

Jaybee

Posts: 10454 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        When in a pinch you can use a three way switch as a single pole. I think we all know of that trick. But I have never scene a package that will advertise as both.
        Still thinking you are missing the proper connection set up. If you have it working while "upside down" reversing the wire should fix the problem.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1552 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post