All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Replacing a duplex receptacle that has 2 black wires and 2 white wires connected...
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Replacing a duplex receptacle that has 2 black wires and 2 white wires connected... Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi all. I am replacing a duplex receptacle with another duplex that has a wireless module. The old receptacle has 2 black wires and 2 neutral wires connected to it. The new one has 1 black and 1 white wire going directly into the receptacle box. There are no screw points.
        I'm guessing that the old receptacle is part of a chain with 2 other receptacles further down the line.

How is the best way to connect the new receptacle? I was thinking of connecting the 2 black wires together, and the 2 white wires together. Then pigtail the black and white wires from the new receptacle to the wires in the box. Here's a pic of the current receptacle if my writing wasn't clear.
        Thanks for any help.

example

Posts: 27 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Feb 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        The description you provide by pigtailing the whites and then the blacks and while attaching a single lead of each color to the outlet is the only way I have ever wired an outlet. To me it seems easier to fold the pigtail into the box neatly then follow with leads attached to the outlet.. No ground wire present?

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1429 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        No ground wire. As I understand, the metal conduit is the route the ground uses instead of grounding wires.

Posts: 27 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Feb 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Orion7486:
        No ground wire. As I understand, the metal conduit is the route the ground uses instead of grounding wires.

Copy that Houston !! The ears of the device and those two 6x32 screws provide the path to the box to the conduit. Was a common practice at one time {grounding via conduit} and grandfathered into the electrical code. New pulls need a ground wire present now, but that does not affect you.

Posts: 1429 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the help. Installed it without a problem.

posted Hide Post
        Very welcome, always good to hear when a plan comes together. Big Grin
        Just noticed your location {Chicago}, that explains the conduit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,