All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    GFCI wiring
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

GFCI wiring Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I've installed a new garbage disposal, and had to put a GFCI outlet in the pre-wired box at the back of my sink cabinet. I was hoping that once installed, this outlet could be controlled with a seemingly useless switch next to my sink, but no such luck.

I have two questions: my dishwasher is connected to the load-out of this outlet. If I was able to connect this outlet to a light switch to control the disposal, would this mean I couldn't also use my dishwasher unless the garbage disposal-controlling switch was "on"?

The second question is about the wiring that was present when I installed the outlet. There was one set of wires (hot/neutral/ground) taped together in the back. Then the current line in/load out (to the DW) wires were each connected with wire connectors. Is it possible/likely that the three taped wires are connected to that switch by my sink, and if I attached them to the line-in nodes I'd have switch control over the outlet?

The kitchen was wired by a previous owner who intended to have a disposal but never installed one. I'm just wondering what might have been standard wiring for something like that.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Posts: 1 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: May 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        First off, forget wiring the dishwasher and the disposal on the same circuit. Both are too high an amperage draw to be on the same line. If your former homeowner tried to wire in for both these appliances on the same circuit, he did it wrong.

As a bonus, once you separate the two loads into two separate circuits, you solve your switch problem. You can now wire the one outlet for the disposal through the switch and the second circuit for the dishwasher as a direct connection. The only down side is that you have to run in a new circuit to this location.

Jaybee

Posts: 10428 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post