All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    adding an outlet to a 3-way switch
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

adding an outlet to a 3-way switch Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have added an outlet to a 3-way switch for my garage light by tapping onto the black hot wire into the switch. I am now however getting a reading of 48 volts at the outlet.

What is the correct wiring for adding an outlet to a 3-way switch?

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        you may have the wrong side of the switch. on a 3-way, there is an always-hot on one switch, and an always-load at the other. there are two "traveler" wires between them, one is hot one way, the other hot the other way the switches are thrown. you are probably taking power off the load (usually lighting) and the voltage drop is what the light allows you.

so the other switch has the hot, and this is not going to work.

you will need to find another unswitched outlet there, and pull a new wire from there.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5763 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        swschrad

That sure is a hard word to pronounce. Anyway thanks for the help. I think you are absolutely right. I am now heading for a hot source other than in a 3-way switch;

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post