All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Light on fan out, replaced still out
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Light on fan out, replaced still out Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I was hoping someone could help me out here. I'm not an electrician by any means but can handle basic stuff like installing ceiling fans and outlets etc. having an issue with lights not working on a ceiling fan...

Few weeks back, I replaced the bulbs in the light kit on my fan. I must have put the incorrect wattage in because within a second or two of turning it on, the lights blew. I replaced the bulbs with the original wattage and got nothing. So I figured the light kit burned out. Got a new light kit, hooked it up, nothing.

Also of note: this fan is controlled by two wall switches, one for the fan only, and one for the light only.

Next I replaced the entire fan. Didn't really like the original fan and was hoping this would solve my problem. Got the new fan wired and installed. Turned it on. Fan works, light still doesn't work. Here's my ultimate question...

I wired it per the directions for dual switches, one for fan one for light. In thinking that something may be bad with the wall switch and/or wiring for the light, if I rewire it to be controlled by only one switch, could that do the trick? Essentially bypassing the light switch and just having one wall switch to control the fan and light? I just want the damn light to work! It's in my living room and I'm tired of lighting it with a bunch of lamps. Thanks y'all.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Yes as long as you tie together the black & blue stranded wires in the fan at its fan box location with the incoming switch leg.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1579 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        What wires are in the boxes, in other words, not counting white or ground wires -- do you have a red and a black wire going to the fan mount? Or do you have two black wires going to the mount? -- if it's the latter, maybe you have a tripped breaker. How many breakers does it take to shut down the switch box.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

They make it look so easy on tv, don't they

Posts: 993 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the replies, y'all. Hopefully I can get it fixed this weekend.

Coming out of the ceiling, there is a blue, black, and a white wire. So I'm thinking I can take the blue and black wires from the fan and wire both of those to the black wire coming out of the ceiling.

As far as a breaker being tripped, I checked the electrical panel for the house and nothing is tripped. Or is there something else somewhere else I need to check? Thanks y'all.

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        could have a loose connection,,either above fan, where wires tie togather,,or at the wall switch
        check all the wire nuts for tightness

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Next, I would check the breakers -- why? Because it is cheap and easy and quick to do.

A breaker can be tripped but not look tripped. Physically move the breaker into the 'off' position. Feel each one as you move it, do they click, does one feel weird compared to the others. You only do the 15 amp and the 20 amp ones. And then click them back on.

Of course, this is assuming your house has a few years on it. Maybe someone did some weird wiring on it, assuming you did not buy it new.

Next, as Frodo said, check the wire nut connections inside the wall switch. Don't just look at them, pull the switches aside, pull on the wires, see if one pops loose (happens a lot). Remove the nut, check the condition of everything, then put it back on. One of the wires probably is the power supply, and it would have two pigtails attached (one for each switch). But it could be something different, there are a lot of back yard home repairs done by people that shouldn't be doing home repairs.

Total time will take about 45 minutes, no cost. Check your switches also, maybe one got burnt and needs replacing. Any questions, feel free to post back, many on here will help.

Posts: 993 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        here's a way out possibility, but stranger things have happened. Is it possible that whomever wired the original fan got its power for the light from a circuit controlled by a G.F.I ?
        when you said that the fan and light were controlled by two separate switchs, and everything is new, then your not getting power to the light, and there is only two sources for that power, 1--- at the circuit breaker , or 2 -- a gfi, if the power is picked up from a circuit controlled by the gfi
        Like I said "strange things happen when someone who doesn't know what they are doing, do it"
        Are you getting power to the two hot leads at the fan box when both switches are on ?

Posts: 2584 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Wouldn't the fan not work if the breaker was tripped, meaning wouldn't they be on the same one? Not questioning you at all, asking because I don't know.

And regarding the wires being loose, do you think that's possibly even in light of all of this star tinge exactly from the moment we put incorrect bulbs in the previous fan and it blew and made a loud pop (pop was the filament in the bulb I'm pretty sure)? I would think we would have had other issues.

I'm wondering more if it's the switch at the wall. Is that possible from overloading the socket with a bulb too high of wattage? Regardless of all of this, would the light work if I wire it to the switch for the fan, like if it just had one switch? That seems easier.

posted Hide Post
        In the time it took you to think that question, and post it, you probably could have checked the breakers. The switches may not be on the same breaker. There sometimes is no sense in how someone may have connected things together. But it is so quick to check, it is worth doing. It took me longer to type this than it will for you to check your breakers (unless they're 15 ft in the air on the outside of the walls).

I did say it might be a switch, but you have to pull them to check them, or use them and see if they operate weird.

And yes, you could wire it so one switch operates it all, then you just use the pull chains to adjust speed and light on or off -- and use the switch to also turn it on or off. OR, you could wire it to bypass the switch completely, thus using the pull chains exclusively. But pulling the fan and redoing the wires will take you longer than checking your breakers -- and you will just end up with something that works but is not wired correctly (see my above comment about repairs done improperly). It's your time, it's your dime.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

posted Hide Post
        You're definitely right. I was just trying to understand it better. Checked the breaker, no dice. I switched the breaker off and on again. Fwiw, don't know if this means anything, everything in the living room (i.e., the fan and four or so wall outlets) are all wired to the same breaker. Again, don't know if that adds anything or not.

Also, someone mentioned GFI not sure what that is (but googling after I post this) but I did notice on the electrical panel at least what's written on the sticker, three of the breakers are GFI, but not the living room where the fan is. At least that's not what it says. However, who the heck knows?

Thanks everyone for the help this far. Really glad I found these forums.

posted Hide Post
        Ok, so you have 3 gfi's. they control the outlets to the kitchen, baths, garage, and outside outlets. Usually each controls power to 3 or 4 other outlets that are connected downstream from it. those outlets as well as the gfi USUALLY have a label to identify it as gfi protected, but sometimes the label is removed or lost. However, every gfi has a little red button on it to reset it should it be popped
        Now, if something shorted out when you replaced the bulb. it would have popped the gfi killing all power from the gfi to whatever outlets it controls, and if the switch to the light kit is on that gfi, you wont have power to it until you reset the gfi.
        I would locate all the gfi's in your house and reset each one.
        Even though the circuit breaker are not popped, you still wont have power until the gfi is reset
        Like I said, this is a remote possibility, and if no suggestion that was posted previously worked, then try resetting the gfi's

Posts: 2584 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Trouble shooting is the bane of homeowners & electricians worldwide. As nona posted nothing can be taken off the table till checked. Big Grin

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1579 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post