All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Ceiling Fan
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Ceiling Fan Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a 3-speed ceiling fan and the lowest setting is too fast for our liking. Currently, the wall switch controls both the fan and the lights on the fan.

Should I run a separate wire and switch to the fan and could a dimmer switch on the fan solve the speed issue?

I'm open to any suggestions.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Lutron makes fan switches that can be adjusted to 5 different speeds, maybe that would work. You could put your fan control at the fan on medium and then use the switch to adjust speeds, I think you could do a lot of 'playing' with it to get your speed.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes, google it up, get instructions. They are not cheap but not prohibitive. Try 'Lutron Maestro'.

I don't know how your wires are set up, but when I put them together I have a separate switch for the light and a separate one for the fan. Dimmer switches are not designed for fan use, for the light, yes, ok.

So do you have one switch controls both?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 949 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Actually RETHINK TIME -- if you have seperate switches, and you are using a proper fan switch -- what speed is your fan on, meaning the control at the fan itself, if it's on highest speed, pull the chain and put it at it's medium speed, then try your switch.

Posts: 949 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post