All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Another adaptability question: front door remote control
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Another adaptability question: front door remote control Sign In/Join 
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted
        We want to adapt a front door so that it can be opened without the occupant having to get up to do so. We were thinking of using a system like a garage door opener, or the kind that are used in commercial buildings. Rehab facilities, SNFs and some assisted living facilities have them.

We plan to mount a mirror inside the house so that someone at the front door can be seen without anyone having to get up to go to the door. If it's a friend, then access could be created by the occupant pushing a button.

Is this realistic? Any drawbacks, special issues to consider?

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated. This is something we'd like to accomplish fairly quickly, as in the next few days, depending on availability of the pro(s) who would be doing the work.

Thanks for any suggestions. Smile

Posts: 1908 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        GS,
        Here is one such opener for a residential or commercial installation.

http://www.barrier-free.com/open_sesame.html

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 722 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I would suggest a simple camera and monitor instead of a mirror. Much more flexible as to where you could be while still being able to see who is at the front door.

Jaybee

Posts: 10307 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Sparky and Jaybee, thanks for the suggestions.

Now I'm embarrassed - as many times as I've been to senior expos and as much information as I've collected, it never occurred to me that these options would be available. Frown And I have a feeling that somewhere in the big files of medical literature I've collected are brochures on these types of doors. All I could think of when I posted was a garage door opener!

Sparky, I checked the door openers on the link you posted and downloaded some info. I called the company but as expected they're closed for the weekend.

I was surprised to see the familiar hand operated opener buttons found in hospitals and medical buildings. Clearly there are several different options to review. At least now I know what we want is available. And I think these would work better than something like a garage door opener.

Jaybee, are you thinking of a system which could have monitors in different rooms? That would certainly be desirable for our needs. More electrical wiring, I suspect, but the point here is security.

As I've been thinking over the mirror issue, I realized that what we had planned isn't workable because the mirror would have been inside, and view would be blocked because the door is closed. There are some logistical issues because of the living room configuration.

I personally would feel more comfortable with cameras in multiple rooms.

So I'll check this out.

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

But don't tell KewinVilson or he'll be P'Ming me with his own version of security systems! Mad

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        GS, maybe you should consider getting a generator to power all this stuff....just in case. There's a guy posting on here who seems to know everything about generators - at least he post about them all the time. Big Grin

There are lots of legitimate monitoring systems - many are wireless so install is simple. No reason why you couldn't have your front door image piped to several different monitors.

Jaybee

Posts: 10307 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Oh, I forgot - we have both generator and closed circuit experts here. I guess all my questions can be answered and all problems solved by them. Big Grin

Maybe the craft experts will find a way to add some homespun decorations and all the spammers will be pleased their months of posting has been worthwhile. Wink

I missed your point at first: I was thinking of linking the camera to the door so that when someone rang the doorbell we could tell who it was, but I believe you're referring to a monitoring system that would reflect any activity on the porch. (I'm a bit slow tonight; it's been a long week.)

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        There's really no reason to have the camera linked to a doorbell or other type sensor - it will work fine being on 24/7 - if you don't want to see what's out there then just turn the monitor(s) off. It's also a much simpler set-up to have the camera on all the time.

Jaybee