All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    wiring conundrum
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

wiring conundrum Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I was trying to correct what I felt was a wiring mistake in our guest bathroom and discovered an even bigger problem. I was working on one of two light switches in the bathroom and found out it was a 3 way switch. I have never worked with a 3 way switch before and when I tried to hook it back up, it wouldn't work like originally did. The bathroom light still worked, but apparently the doorbell and outside light were run through the same switch. I have tried a couple of times to rewire the switch to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You can go through all the combinations of wires to terminals but that's not the best or safest way to troubleshoot. From your description, it sounds like the hot lead to the three way switch also split off to power the doorbell transformer and outside light.

At this point, probably the smartest and quickest way would be to call in an electrician or handy-man to set it right.

Jaybee

Posts: 10131 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post