DIY Message Boards
With my 115 volta'g/Why can't I use 220 Air Condl?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4691013504/m/2523978177

Jul 03, 2013, 06:48 PM
rusty1978
With my 115 volta'g/Why can't I use 220 Air Condl?
ok; this is something that iv'e never understood; I currently have 110 or( 115 voltage in my apartment sockets; My Air conditioner works just, Ok" but I'd like to upgrade to apwerful AC the ones they make I like are 220 voltage; WILL THEY NOT work in my apt?? and WHY?? what do I have to do to the electrical system to upgrade 220?? IS IT A european thing? IS IT COMPLICATED?? I have a fuse box + all..and own my apt. so I'd hire a real electrician; pls advise..thx L in NYC
Jul 03, 2013, 08:38 PM
joecaption
There's 220 feeding the box, you would need #1 to get written permission from the landlord before doing anything.
The electrician would have to add a double pole breaker and a whole new dedicated line to where you wanted the power.
It would be a whole lot cheaper to just add another A/C unit somewhere else.

joecaption
Jul 04, 2013, 01:17 AM
Frodo
ooo

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E
Jul 04, 2013, 09:59 AM
Jaybee
In simple terms, Rusty, you cannot take two 110v outlets and get 220v out of it. As Joe points out, it can be done but is will require a totally new circuit that starts from your electrical box. It's a heavier duty circuit breaker that has two hot legs instead of one, will require a heavier gauge wire and a 220v rated outlet.

Also, unlike 110v that will mostly just 'bite' you if you touch the wrong wires, 220v can kill you. Just call an electrician and see how feasible it is to run a 220 outlet to your AC location.

Jaybee
Jul 04, 2013, 10:28 AM
rusty1978
Thanks Joe , and Jaybee; first off; ONLY One window /outlet area feasible here.. 2nd thing, I understand 220 V could kill you;sounds powerful + dangerous. the fuse box is about 14 feet a way from the window/outlet area, so it sounds like a lot of CUTTING and demo within the wall...sooo much trouble. I can't do it..i didn't care what it costs'..but my decision now is to just get a 115 AC with 16,000 btu's roughly -thanks Larry
Jul 04, 2013, 11:39 AM
CommonwealthSparky
You can actually find a 120V AC unit that churns out 16,000 BTUs? Seems a wee bit high but you never know.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Jul 04, 2013, 02:43 PM
swschrad
probably be a breaker blower requiring 20 amps and not an electron less.

hmpf... Google just led me to a permanent-install unit for a yacht that takes 120 volts at 13.9 amps. http://www.yachtsupplydepot.co...-mk1/prod_61720.html

sears has 15,000 BTU units for 120 volts, so there will be others, give or take $500. better be sure whatever you're looking for physically fits in your window, take good measurements.

and when it's cooling, nothing else at all can share that circuit. startup surge and a desk lamp, poof, breaker blows.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Jul 05, 2013, 02:21 PM
CommonwealthSparky
I would think 20 would be a dangerous amperage amount to deal with. As in a dedicated circuit as mentioned. So if you are going to dedicate a circuit the wise choice would be to purchase a more economical 240v unit and install the proper circuit to power up the unit. And save money as well. Basically why 240v is in homes. More practical uses of copper and flowing electrons.
Breakers are available to handle start up current, but I would be more concerned with 20 amps flowing through 12 AWG copper. Well I would be more than concerned. As in the 80% continuous load factor in the NEC. I would place an AC in that class and would hope 16 amps is the maxx in the circuit.
Certainly don't doubt the unit but it must be one heck of efficient unit and might be pricy as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...