All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    circuit surge or something
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

circuit surge or something Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Got the wiring done for the ceiling fan/light install.

Have had this problem prior to putting connecting the fan spur.

In the bedroom circuit, the TV will be one and if you turn the light switch on the TV goes dark for a second then comes back on, it never turns fully off. The TV is plugged into the always hot side of the outlet (switch controls the other side). However, I plugged in a vacuum to clean up some of the drywall mess and it did the same thing.

Not sure what the deal is. The breaker doesn't trip and the TV doesn't go fully off. This has happened with every TV we've had in the room not just the current one.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Feb 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        sounds like a creepy connection issue someplace. you are going to have to find every device on that circuit... outlet, light, switch, etc... and chase all the interconnections.

look for any evidence of a loose wire at the device, untwisted wires inside wire nuts, and the like.

it will be work.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5710 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        hmmm, so you're saying just pull each outlet/switch and check connections?

Actually won't be that hard since I have to pull all the plates off as I'm painting before putting up the ceiling fan/lights (funny how a fan project turned into "why don't we paint while we're at it", "we" being keyword = me/you

Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        I'm thinking a faulty breaker. Or most likely a faulty outlet as those 55¢ devices do fail from time to time. But you really never know till you find the culprit. Good luck. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1429 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the one thing I am finding is all the outlets have the black/white wires in the little holes in the back of the outlet instead of the screws on the side. I'm sure it was to save time when building but I think I'll switch them all to the screws anyway.

Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Good plan, if there's no screws then there really cheap outlets to start with.

joecaption

Posts: 18021 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        there is a pro online here who doesn't buy my blanket fix for backstab devices, replace them all... but in 10-packs, it's not a high-priced way to insure you don't have more of them weaken in the thin little flimsy grabbers. so just do it. take you a day. then it's off the list.

I have seen a posting from an inspector that code apparently now requires safety outlets in all remodel and new work, so they cost an extra buck or so... and also essentially requires AFCI protection on basically all living quarters outlets. that costs more, but you can put an AFCI as the first device in a chain, and hook the rest behind it.

since these are new-in-2014 rules, your city may not have added them, as always if questions, call your local inspection office.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

Posts: 5710 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Tamper proof outlets & GFCIs are required in 99% of instillations, true. Above a certain height they are not, {5.5'} mainly because they are most often out of the reach of young explorers. And say that fridge outlet that is next to impossible to get at for mischief is exempt.

I might be the guy who does not quibble about back stabbing devices. But I never backstab, never did. It boils down to personal preference maybe. Wink But we all agree that backstabbing a device unless necessary is not the best practice...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Posts: 1429 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I couldn't really find anything noticeable when I pulled all the outlets/switches. I did change them all from the back stabber thing to the actual screws, maybe that will help with the TV thing, we shall see.

posted Hide Post
        Curious but exactly how old is the outlet in question? If the problem occurs again try replacing the outlet.

posted Hide Post
        All the outlets in the house are about 14 years old (house built in the summer of 2000).

Same issue still going on and happening with the new switch added for the fan.

Every outlet/switch on the circuit was checked and put back in with the screws instead of the back stabbers.

Not entirely sure what route to take now lol

posted Hide Post
        little late for this, but how old is that TV?

reason I ask is, there used to be in NTSC CRT TVs, an auto-degaussing coil that came on to clear any magnetic-field color smears. those are caused by moving the TV across the earth's magnetic field. the larger the screen, the more likely you would be seeing an off-color patch. so every time you turn on one of those old boys, the degaussing coil would Bzzzttmmmmmm until the Globar resistor warmed up and the coil would essentially be cut off. then the picture comes up, and life is good.

if you have an older portable or console TV in this application, you have a normal phenomenon.

I would tell you how to look at the innards and tell if this is your situation, but it's dangerous, and I won't. "no user serviceable parts inside," and for the uninitiated, that ain't no joke. servicemen have had to have hands or arms amputated to finish the job a broken neck on a color TV picture tube started. legend has it one guy had a color gun propelled through the front of a picture tube, shot him in the chest, with expectable morbid results.

so leave the back on, and tell us when the TV was made from the serial number sticker on the back. they started putting the date on in the late 60s or early 70s when they required special glass in the HV tubes to absorb X-rays.

if it is one of those old boys, you could have a failing Globar in either the degauss or primary power circuits or weak HV filter caps. might be time for a bargain LCD TV or a closeout model, to save cash. an 80s or 90s CRT is pretty much non repairable now. bring another set to that outlet and test it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

posted Hide Post
        It is a new TV, Flat Screen, 32" Vizio, woo hoo.

Believe it or not I think I found the problem and it wasn't the circuit.

The HDMI cable must have been bad somehow. I moved the TV to finish some trim painting and it kept going out for a second, not totally off but enough to notice. I found another brand new HDMI cable while moving stuff out of the bedroom (imagine finding stuff you didn't know you had lol), I plugged it in and I haven't been able to duplicate the issue............yet. It's been a couple hours and right after I post this I'm sure it will do it again. But that quite possibly could be the fix.

I'm not exactly sure why that would be the issue when a light switch would be turned on/off.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NuclearSeal,

posted Hide Post
        Hope you found the culprit but I do think this solution would come out of left field. Time will tell.

Not to pirate the post but is anyone else irked at the price of a HDMI cable. Ranks right up there with printer ink and razor blades... Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
        I put off chasing humbars in my media room TV for a couple weeks until I had a long time to play with it. went to heck when I had to replace the DirectTV box.

brought another working TV down as a test, moved it along the line step by step. the distribution amps, suspects, were good on all video ports. cable replacements, ok. the input and output of the media receiver were OK.

and then I got to one of my pride-and-joy cables, back in the 70s I made some killer audio RCA cables with RG59/U coax and top flight Switchcraft RCA plugs.

bingo. my magic cable from the AV receiver to the wall jack to the buried TV wiring.

replaced it with a two buck RS cable. perfection.

you can get good HDMI cables for under three bucks on fleabay, and I have them in several places. man, there is some serious predatory pricing going on with HDMI cables. and there needs to be, too many yachts are being bought by the cable makers. that's why I'm staying with analog as long as I can.

posted Hide Post
        I agree Commonwealth and swschrad, HDMI cables are ridiculous price wise. I went to Best Buy once and they wanted $40-50, screw that. I did get the cheap one on eBay, I think that was the one that was on the TV, probably doesn't have a long life span but $5 every couple years is better than $50 every couple years. I think the one I found was the original HDMI that came with the DirecTV box way back when, we had it hooked up to an old CRT TV way back when with coax, couldn't find the HDMI and bought the cheap one.

And don't get me started on printer ink or razors lol, I remember my first inkjet printer back in 1995, the ink was the same price I think, like $40 a pop and that was before color printers. And laser toner, geesh, need to take out a mortgage.

Unfortunately I have to shave for work, I saw the Pawn Stars guy with his razor infomercial, lol $29 bucks or something for a years worth of straight single blade razors lol

Off topic lol