All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    2 fans / 2 switches / 1 remote
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

2 fans / 2 switches / 1 remote Sign In/Join 
        posted
        So I have 2 fans in my bedroom which are controlled by 2 switches (1 for lights and 1 for the fans). My goal is to install the new fans, a remote receiver, and still have the switches be able to control the lights and/fans.

I will try to describe the wiring as best as possible. Fan #1 has 2 black twisted, 2 red twisted, 2 bare twisted, and 2 white twisted. Fan #2 has 1 black, 1 red, 1 bare, and 1 white.

My assumption is that Fan #2 is jumped from Fan #1. thus the extra wire that is twisted.

If I connect the receiver to Fan #1, is there anyway to have that single receiver control both fans? Here is the available wire colors...

Fan #1 twisted wires
        Fan ----- House
        Blue-----Black
        Green----Bare
        White---White
        Black---Red

Fan #2 single wire
        Fan ----- House
        Blue-----Black
        Green----Bare
        White---White
        Black---Red

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I also meant to to mention that the black wire is for the light and red goes to the fan.

posted Hide Post
        So you want the remote control to control the lights and fan -- and you want the switches to control the lights and fan ????????

Posts: 972 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Most if not all remote control fans have setting switches on the fixture and control. By programming all to a certain setup one remote will control what ever fan you point the remote to.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1459 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Re-mdlr:
        So you want the remote control to control the lights and fan -- and you want the switches to control the lights and fan ????????

yep, exactly...the fan switch would probably be left on all the time, but I want the light switch to be functional for when I come into the room.

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by CommonwealthSparky:
        Most if not all remote control fans have setting switches on the fixture and control. By programming all to a certain setup one remote will control what ever fan you point the remote to.

these fans do not have native remote capability. I am having to install a small receiver in at least one of the fixtures. I an trying to avoid having to buy a second transmitter/ receiver setup.

well I got to playing with a meter and I think I figured everything out.I capped off one of the red wires coming in to fan #1, untwisted the wires and pig tailed off the load side of the receiver. Only problem now is that the output from the receiver is sending a constant 120v to the fans.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SharpTJ,

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You will have to have two receivers. The receiver is a remote switch - as such it can control the fan it's hooked to as well as the light that it's hooked to, but it does not have the capacity to send power to the second fan and carry the load.

You have your wiring figured out correctly, however the typical set-up for a fan with a remote requires constant power to the fan/light so that it can be controlled only by the hand-held remote. Keeping the switches in play defeats the purpose of the remote. When using the remote, you can not only control fan speed and direction but you can dim the lights. If you mount the remote holster on the wall near the door, then you can touch the light switch to turn lights on or off as you enter.

You could hook up only the light kit from the switch leg and have the power to the fan run through the remote receiver. That would give you full fan control yet retain light control from the wall switch. There would be no light dimming capability though.

Finally, some remotes and receivers are only good for use in one fan. most of the retrofit kits I've seen work that way. OTOH high-end fans that come with remotes can be programed for the same remote to control both fans and lights.

A final alternate set-up would be to change the light switch conrtrol to power a different light somewhere else in the room. Use this light so you can see as you enter / exit the room and keep the remote for fan speed and mood lighting.

Jaybee

Posts: 10370 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post