All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Combining motion sensor and programmable timer?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Combining motion sensor and programmable timer? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi,
        I am in a process of installing Heat and Energy recovery system. I would like it to be programmed to run during some hours of the day which is not a problem. I would like it to also run when people are in the room which separate from first requirement is not a problem. However I would like to combine the two, I want it to run at certain times as well as if someone is in the room. I have not seen switched that combine functionality, is there anything like this available? Is there a way to connect motion sensor switch and programmable timer switch to allow for this?
        Thanks

Posts: 3 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        All you need to do is to wire your controlling switches in parallel rather than in series. Basically treat is like two separate switches - set up the times switch to turn the lights on on a programed schedule. Then also install a motion switch to turn on the lights if someone enters the room. It should work fine as long as the hot leg for both switches comes from the same circuit.

Jaybee

Posts: 10343 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Yes, I was thinking that it should be possible just the way you described, but not 100% sure about the wiring...The unit operates off the outlet so are you suggesting running 2 hots from both switches to the hot on that outlet?

Posts: 3 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Yes, wire it so that it works as if there was just the timer switch controlling it and also as if there was just the motion sensor switch controlling it. That way, either will work under the conditions that you want yet if the lights are already on due to motion in the room when the timer kicks in, it will make no change as the hot will already be connected. Same applies if the lights are on due to the timer - if someone walks in and triggers the motion switch, there will be no change as that hot leg is already connected through the other switch.

Just source both your hots from the same place to avoid having two different circuits powering the lights.

Jaybee

Posts: 10343 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post