DIY Message Boards
Funky outlet wiring in bathroom

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4691013504/m/1783984477

Oct 11, 2013, 11:13 PM
AlwaysAvocado
Funky outlet wiring in bathroom
A shady-dooin's! I was replacing all the outlets and switches in my house (a 52' house) so I don't have grounds in most outlets. What this photo is showing is a basic outlet, and a light switch next to it. The light switch isn't currently operating a light, but two black wires are running to the switch in the background. The outlet itself has the blacks on the right (2 on the top screw and one on bottom) and as shown 2 whites stuffed into the top screw and one on bottom. I know pretty much this isn't right? Should be one wire per screw... Any idea why they'd do it this way? Better yet how to correct it?

Oct 12, 2013, 01:31 AM
Jaybee
It may not have been a code issue when those outlets were installed but to correct having three leads per side on the one outlet is fairly simple (if your receptacle box is large enough). Just disconnect all three white wires and tie them together with a fourth jumper lead that connects to the outlet. Same thing with the black wires. You could even leave one wire on each side, tie two together with the new third lead and still only have one wire per terminal screw. As long as you have the room in the box for the two extra wire nuts it will work. If not, there are outlets available that are designed to hold up to four wires per side in two pairs of terminals.

Jaybee
Oct 12, 2013, 08:17 AM
CommonwealthSparky
Always amazed to see an actual device with two wire under one screw. Has anyone ever tried to do that, just for fun of course? Well I have and it is a very hard task to accomplish. Even that it is very incorrect I bow down in awe. Big Grin

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...