All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    portable generator wiring
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

portable generator wiring Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a 2800W Yamaha generator I'd like to connect via a 12/2 extension cord (with two male plug ends) to a dedicated outlet in the house for emergency use only. The generator has one 20A duplex outlet and one 30A outlet. I was thinking that I could wire a 20A insulated outlet and box on the exterior wall of the house to a 20A duplex outlet on the inside of the house and then from the 20A generator outlet, run extension cords inside to my freezer, refrigerator, and a couple of LED floor lamps. This outlet would be dedicated to the generator only (not connected to the house wiring). We have wood heat so don't have to worry about that.
        Will this work and will it meet codes (even though we are in the country and don't have to worry about them)? Is there a way I could utilize the 30A generator outlet to run more "stuff"? I will label the outlets GENERATOR ONLY. If you can suggest a better method, please do so.
        Thanks in advance.

Posts: 6 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        two male ends?

two death ends.

your end.

your system does not positively lock out the incoming power line, so you could blow a lineman off his ladder and face manslaughter charges and lawsuits.

this is not cool.

-0-

for that little generator, you have two legitimate choices. (1) unplug the critical stuff, and plug it in to extention cords run to the generator. (2) get something with some real power, install a code-compliant switchover subpanel, and rewire the critical services through that generator-break sub to a twist-loc outside, and on the line side, back to a single breaker in the panel.

at this point, I refer you to competent, licensed, insured and bonded electricians. your plan is no darn good on any number of practical and legal grounds.

sorry, but that's the way it is. way too easy to forget, cheat, or make a mistake that could ruin or kill you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5860 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Note: Read: NOT CONNECTED TO HOUSE WIRING.

Posts: 6 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by mmorris:
        Note: Read: NOT CONNECTED TO HOUSE WIRING.

Is not the 30 amp circuit dedicated to a 240v listing?

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1584 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi

posted Hide Post
        Let me start this over, I feel I didn't explain well enough.

Instead of drilling a hole in the exterior house wall and running an extention cord DIRECTLY through the wall from my portable generator, I propose to put an insulated, 20A 120V outlet on the outside of the house and wire it directly to a NEW 20A outlet on the inside of the house.

Neither of them will be connected to any of the existing house wiring, only to EACH OTHER.

I can then run a cord from the generator outside to this exterior outlet. On the inside of the house I can run extension cords from the other NEW outlet to whatever I need to operate (up to 20A) during an outage. I'm thinking this will not violate any codes as long as I label both outlets "generator only" and THEY ARE NOT CONNECTED TO ANY HOUSE WIRING, only to themselves.

posted Hide Post
        The only problem I see after reading your post is your idea of making a cord with a male end on both ends. They make wall mounted male plugs that you can plug your hot cord into rather than having exposed hot terminals on the end of your cord. That double male cord is an accident waiting to happen.

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-...unding/dp/B003ATXIBG

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky617,

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 892 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Does not the RV industry use such a plug set up ?

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1584 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by CommonwealthSparky:
        Does not the RV industry use such a plug set up ?

Yep.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 892 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        correct me if I missed something, but you still have to drill a hole to bring the outside wire inside, right? and punch holes all around the house to install these new special-use outlets, right?

for that amount of energy expended, if you're going to do this, put a male twist-loc outside. the cord won't fall out.

you DO plan to drive a ground rod to tie the generator to, I hope, as all the manuals advise...

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5860 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for all your help.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Getting to this a little late (even contractors go on vacation sometime) but it seems fairly simple:

Install your dedicated outlets inside the house and route all wires to a common connection point on an exterior wall near the generator point. Then connect the interior dedicated house wiring to an exterior male connector(s) with a waterproof cover(s) - what you would use on a camper or boat. Then, make your extension cord from the generator to the house with a male end to plug into the gen and a female end to tap into the new port(s) you have installed on the house wall. This will usually be a three-pin connector that locks in place with a twisting motion.

The point everyone is making is right on target - you never, ever want to have a double male plug. Doing it as above is safe and I don't believe will be any kind of code violation as the new circuits are totally unconnected to any household wiring. If the gen is not operating then those circuits are dead and safe.

Jaybee

Posts: 10485 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks, Jaybee for confirming what I was thinking. Everyone is correct about the two male ends; I wasn't thinking on that oneSmile. I installed the exact same setup (with a male weatherproof outlet wired to a dedicated indoor outlet) on my RV to get an extra 20A circuit into it for a dedicated ceramic heater and I've been using it for 8 years. I was just curious about code violation.