All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Bending 1/2" EMT
        Page 1 2 
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Bending 1/2" EMT Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hey all,

I am making some garden trellises and bought a few 10' length 1/2" diameter EMT pipes. I just cut them in half to get 5' lengths. I was wondering, if I use a bender, could I get a 4' length piece with two 90-degree bends from one of the 5' lengths?? I read that 5" is needed for the take-up. That means I'd have 1" left on each end (6" per end or 12" total).

Similar to this http://www.elliottelectric.com...rences/Bend_Stub.png but I'd essentially want a 6" 90-degree bend on each side.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jplee3,

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        In theory, it should work. As long as you have enough material to stick out past the hold part of your pipe bender. Because of the inaccuracies of the bender, it' usually better to bend a longer pipe first and cut off the excess - so working with a 10' long piece to start will give you a little more working room. If that 4' dimension that you need as a final product can vary a little, then it should work fine to use the 5' pieces to start.

Jaybee

Posts: 10289 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:
        In theory, it should work. As long as you have enough material to stick out past the hold part of your pipe bender. Because of the inaccuracies of the bender, it' usually better to bend a longer pipe first and cut off the excess - so working with a 10' long piece to start will give you a little more working room. If that 4' dimension that you need as a final product can vary a little, then it should work fine to use the 5' pieces to start.

I was just thinking, I bought couplers (for attaching the top to the sides). If bending a 1" stub height is too short, I can just use the coupler and connect two 5' pieces and bend.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I'm not really sure exactly what you are doing here or how accurate your trellis needs to be. In my experience with bending conduit, a coupler will be too short to keep the work from bowing as you lever it around the tool. I've always found that for any precise bends that you use longer material than needed, make your bend and then cut back to your exact dimension. Again, this really hinges on how accurate your measurements need to be.

Jaybee

Posts: 10289 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by jplee3:
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:
        I'm not really sure exactly what you are doing here or how accurate your trellis needs to be. In my experience with bending conduit, a coupler will be too short to keep the work from bowing as you lever it around the tool. I've always found that for any precise bends that you use longer material than needed, make your bend and then cut back to your exact dimension. Again, this really hinges on how accurate your measurements need to be.

I ended up doing the bends - it was confusing at first but I realized I needed to do a 4' long back-to-back bend. I totally bent it wrong the first few tries and had to straighten it (so it ended up coming out looking not so great but I think it'll be functional). I realized on the bender the "star point" is for back-to-back bends. I was relying on the arrow point the whole time. Probably should have read up a little more on it - I was so stuck on the stub height and the whole 5" thing... made it a lot harder than it had to be Frown Well, now I know for future reference Smile

Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Congrats on becoming an apprentice !!!!

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1429 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        JP, once the vines or flowers start growing they'll soon cover any experiments or innovations. But you'll still have a unique trellis. Don't forget that we love photos here so one of your new trellis would be welcome.

Posts: 1896 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by GardenSprite:
        JP, once the vines or flowers start growing they'll soon cover any experiments or innovations. But you'll still have a unique trellis. Don't forget that we love photos here so one of your new trellis would be welcome.

I too think it will look good. {Bumping Spam}

Posts: 1429 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Spam bumper. Big Grin

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        JP, I thought of your trellis project when I saw this:

http://www.finegardening.com/h...ne-gardening-eletter.

Thought you might be interested.

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        JP, I thought of your trellis project when I saw this:

http://www.finegardening.com/h...ne-gardening-eletter.

Thought you might be interested.

I was interested as well. A great idea. Only the material list has the copper needed at about $30 US dollars. Might be a wee bit more expensive that that.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        In this area a $30 trellis would be on the high end, even for one made in China, which most of the ones at the garden centers are. I confess that I skimmed over that part when I was reviewing the article, thinking only of how easily that design could be adapted for a variety of vining plants.

Are there other metals that would bend as easily and would be cheaper?

An alternative source would be to use something nonmetal and free from a garden, such as grapevine wreaths, but they would need at least some vertical support. One of the Victory Garden series featured a woman who made yard art from wild growing vines which grew to be quite thick, but right now I can't remember the name of those vines. Some of them had trunks that appeared to be at least a few inches in diameter.

I was thinking also about junk trees, such as the box elders, mulberries and black locust that grow abundantly in my yard. Black locust would be hard to work with though because of all the thorns. However, I would put those trellises (complete with thorns) along the side bordering the neighbor who was raided by the Feds a few years ago.

posted Hide Post
        Like the OP mentioned 1/2" EMT would work as well. Now it would not look like a copper. {A look that you can not beat, with the solder sweats and all}. To tell you the truth I am not ever sure if EMT is galvanized. Dang I SHOULD know that. We use PVC outside in 99% of applications.
        Best part of all this is between my copper stock and my dads I could churn them out in like there is not tomorrow.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I think the contrast of copper against foliage, especially something like ivy, with its dark leaves, would be stunning.

But it's occurred to me that in some neighborhoods, the copper trellises might be temptations for thieves. I learned a few years back that thieves on the other side of my town were breaking into foreclosed homes and stripping plumbing and copper.

Even PVC could be used for trellises.

CS, maybe you've got a sideline business in the making with your copper stash. Sell them at arts and crafts fairs, especially the juried ones where you can command higher prices. I think they'd be unique, especially if you hang some foliage from them to create an eye catcher for the fair goers.

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        being a plumber..i always have 4 or 5 buckets of scrap copper hanging around
        you can make some interesting art out if a pile of fittings and and a bucket of scrap pipe
        my wife likes the wind chimes i make. i also make a cross. with st and reg 1/2'90'S

if you like the copper hue, but dont want to have it ripped off. use pvc pipe and paint it copper

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Frodo, would you mind sharing your pattern for wind chimes?

How would PVC be painted to resemble copper?

I like to put wind chimes in the windows to catch the breezes. I've seen some beautiful ones made of shells ... they're on my "someday" project list.

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        I think the contrast of copper against foliage, especially something like ivy, with its dark leaves, would be stunning.

But it's occurred to me that in some neighborhoods, the copper trellises might be temptations for thieves. I learned a few years back that thieves on the other side of my town were breaking into foreclosed homes and stripping plumbing and copper.

Even PVC could be used for trellises.

CS, maybe you've got a sideline business in the making with your copper stash. Sell them at arts and crafts fairs, especially the juried ones where you can command higher prices. I think they'd be unique, especially if you hang some foliage from them to create an eye catcher for the fair goers.

I recently rewired a home on a HUD grant via a county housing authority bid. Finished the rough wiring on a Friday afternoon. Monday when the home was opened for work 90% of the Romex was cut and torn out.
        We do the wiring but a crew of young adults from a federally funded job corps program was also on the site that Friday, it was not hard to track down the culprits. {The program is to train kids in different trade, but they can not do any type of electrical work}.
        If only you could get even one of the kids to work that hard on a weekday they could find steady work. One confessed and later ratted out his buddy. Since the sequester the grant money dried up and the kids were cut loose. We were hoping to pluck out at least one kid of the ten on the job to hire, but not one actually did produce an effort that stood out. Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        This is really sad, if not just plain pathetic. This was an opportunity for someone to get a foothold in a good solid profession, get some good experience to include on a resume, and learn necessary skills for holding a job, but instead some of them rip off the project.

And I assume they actually got paid for their "work"?

Makes you wonder if these kids even want to work, doesn't it?

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        1" copper 18" long
        3/4" copper 18" long
        1" 12"
        3/4" 12"
        1" 6"
        3/4" 6"
        cut a circle 12" dia space the copper even around circle
        drill 2 holes each, 1" apart for fishing line
        drill hole 1/2" from end of pipe,,thru both sides of pipe
        thread fish line threw and tie, put the knot in the pipe
        hang it with fish line
        i perfer the bass y er tones of 2" pipe but its high dollar pipe

http://i1357.photobucket.com/a...1aa-43eb568b3c4e.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        This is really sad, if not just plain pathetic. This was an opportunity for someone to get a foothold in a good solid profession, get some good experience to include on a resume, and learn necessary skills for holding a job, but instead some of them rip off the project.

And I assume they actually got paid for their "work"?

Makes you wonder if these kids even want to work, doesn't it?

Yea they were paying jobs. I never did inquire what they hourly rate was but it was a federal program so it was not minimum wage for sure.