All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Recessed lighting wattage
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Recessed lighting wattage Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi -

I moved into a home that has some small recessed lights over the couch. I want to replace the bulbs (philips 45W, 120V small flood) with some GE Reveals that are 60W. The lighting doesn't indicate the max wattage anywhere I can see, so I don't know if the 60W will be hazardous. Is there a way to tell what the max wattage is without ripping things apart? I'd love to use the nicer bulbs if possible, just can't tell if they're dangerous or not.

thanks!
        David

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Is the trim ring removable? Look for tags inside or a model number you can google and see what is allowed. Recessed lights are specific as to what maximum they allow and what style bulb to use. Maybe you can install a different trim to accommodate a larger wattage, all depends on the model of recessed light there is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 870 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks, I'll give that a try. They're about 10 years old so I'm worried all signs of labeling will be gone.

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        5 and 6 inch cans are generally either rated for 45 or 60 watts.

with LED retrofit kits or LED floods, obviously, they will run cooler.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5478 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Trim rings are usually spring attached, there are several ways to do it, just take a look and see what you've got. Maybe you can reach the spring after you remove the bulb, or you pull the trim ring down a little and then can reach them (unhook them, squeeze them together, whatever is needed) If one light is missing a tag, maybe one of the other lights might have a tag.

Posts: 870 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        I vote for LED's, on a dimmer.
        Been finding the price has been coming down on the 40 & 60 watt equivalents. 5.99 each after rebate for 60 watt equivalents, and similar for 40 watts when I got them from Ebay.

Posts: 6859 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post