DIY Message Boards
Recessed lighting wattage

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4691013504/m/1023944777

Dec 14, 2013, 02:50 PM
daevans
Recessed lighting wattage
Hi -

I moved into a home that has some small recessed lights over the couch. I want to replace the bulbs (philips 45W, 120V small flood) with some GE Reveals that are 60W. The lighting doesn't indicate the max wattage anywhere I can see, so I don't know if the 60W will be hazardous. Is there a way to tell what the max wattage is without ripping things apart? I'd love to use the nicer bulbs if possible, just can't tell if they're dangerous or not.

thanks!
David
Dec 14, 2013, 03:13 PM
Re-mdlr
Is the trim ring removable? Look for tags inside or a model number you can google and see what is allowed. Recessed lights are specific as to what maximum they allow and what style bulb to use. Maybe you can install a different trim to accommodate a larger wattage, all depends on the model of recessed light there is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

They make it look so easy on tv, don't they
Dec 14, 2013, 03:38 PM
daevans
Thanks, I'll give that a try. They're about 10 years old so I'm worried all signs of labeling will be gone.
Dec 14, 2013, 04:27 PM
swschrad
5 and 6 inch cans are generally either rated for 45 or 60 watts.

with LED retrofit kits or LED floods, obviously, they will run cooler.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Dec 14, 2013, 05:46 PM
Re-mdlr
Trim rings are usually spring attached, there are several ways to do it, just take a look and see what you've got. Maybe you can reach the spring after you remove the bulb, or you pull the trim ring down a little and then can reach them (unhook them, squeeze them together, whatever is needed) If one light is missing a tag, maybe one of the other lights might have a tag.

They make it look so easy on tv, don't they
Dec 14, 2013, 07:01 PM
Conrad
I vote for LED's, on a dimmer.
Been finding the price has been coming down on the 40 & 60 watt equivalents. 5.99 each after rebate for 60 watt equivalents, and similar for 40 watts when I got them from Ebay.
Sep 27, 2014, 04:53 PM
tom hass
I recommend to go for LED bulbs, Recessed LED lighting is becoming increasingly popular and for good reason, LEDs the newest lighting technology that offers the best features compare to the other types of bulbs and lighting sources, and are the most energy efficient bulbs you can check LED recessed lighting they will consume power less than 45W and thier output will be more than the traditional source.
Oct 30, 2014, 07:47 AM
CommonwealthSparky
quote:
Originally posted by Re-mdlr:
Trim rings are usually spring attached, there are several ways to do it, just take a look and see what you've got. Maybe you can reach the spring after you remove the bulb, or you pull the trim ring down a little and then can reach them (unhook them, squeeze them together, whatever is needed) If one light is missing a tag, maybe one of the other lights might have a tag.

Needle nose pliers are a must when working on installing & removing trim rings. I too vote for looking into LED upgrades. Lets hove they are a better product than CFLs presently are.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...