DIY Message Boards
Expensive

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4343977337/m/2403918967

Apr 17, 2013, 03:53 PM
Guttdogg
Expensive
So I was watching I Hate My Kitchen last night... and at the beginning they said their budget is $60,000.

HOLY CRAP!!! a few years ago I bought a house, moved it onto a new foundation, and COMPLETELY remodeled the entire thing with a budget of $60,000... and they're sticking that into a kitchen?

Seriously DIY - get your head on straight and come up with some better programming, one that a real DIYer could afford.

~Gutt
Apr 17, 2013, 06:24 PM
Jaybee
Kind of a stretch blaming DIY for economic reality.

I would say (and I would know since I build them) that an average, basic kitchen will run in the $35K range. Go with some cabinets with lots of features, decorative backsplash, solid surface tops and better grade appliances and your 'average' price will easily jump to $50K to $60K range.

Make that really nice kitchen in a larger home and you'll start seeing the $80K to $100K price tags. For a kitchen like this, you can drop $40K on appliances without even breathing hard.

I know where you are coming from, my dad always reminded us that he paid $15,500 for his first house - and it was brand new. I spent more than three times that on my last pickup truck. It's just the reality of what things cost. Sure, you can find some starter grade cabinets and store made laminate countertop slabs and do a small kitchen for under $10K, but that's not the norm.

Jaybee
Apr 17, 2013, 08:54 PM
swschrad
first thing we did in our house was the kitchen. went to a reputable dealer/contractor, looking at options, and they said the typical kitchen job is 20-30% of the house price.

40-50 grand.

uh, dude, I don't think so.

we had to buy some specialized tools, and spent 8 grand with them included. used them in every job since. reused the cabinets after sanding and refinishing.

we did not have magic granite molded with dragon fire rolled for backsplash, nothing delivered by unicorns, just good midgrade stuff where it shows, and no shortcuts whatsoever where it doesn't.

this is massively DIYable.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Apr 18, 2013, 09:10 AM
Guttdogg
Jaybee - I guess that's a good thing that I live where I live then - around here the average BASIC kitchen remodel costs 10-15k, if I recall correctly I stuck about $6500 into mine 5 years ago (everything new except the studs) and it's not exactly tiny (13x14). Of course I did everything myself, but it's more fun that way isn't it?

Swschrad - lol, that cracks me up: "nothing delivered by unicorns"

~Gutt
Apr 18, 2013, 06:51 PM
Jaybee
So what part of the country are you in? I figured the Southeast where I am is about the cheapest for building costs.

Jaybee
Apr 19, 2013, 11:06 AM
swschrad
depends also on what the contractor thinks of as "basic." is that laminate, or epay? Formica or blue marble? Whirlpool or Sub-Zero? Daltile or artisanal hand-painted tile?

every choice I've listed is 1X to 5 or 10X the price, depending on which you pick.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Apr 19, 2013, 11:14 AM
Guttdogg
I live in the Upper Midwest (Iowa)- as far as I can tell, one of the cheapest places to live... however 30 miles east of me and house prices double!
Swschrad- you're absolutely correct... basic is a matter of perspective. I don't think they've been able to cut costs like other companies have, that's why they want the old money.

~Gutt
Jun 02, 2013, 03:18 PM
Re-mdlr
As a builder at the west coast, I'd go with Jaybee prices as being accurate enough.

And even though I responded to an old thread, this reply will not contain any spam -- sorry.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,