All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Added value?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Added value? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello all,

I am curious about a future project. My wife would like to remove the shower/tub surround and convert it to just a large tile shower area. Of course, this would be nicely done. But, that means we would not have a tub in the house. I have checked with the inspections department and there is no code on the books that require that we have a tub in the house.

My question and concern is; would the removal of the tub add or subtract value from the residence?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: deputydawg,

Posts: 17 | Location: Elizabeth City, NC | Registered: Nov 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        I don't think you would be adding value to the home, as eventually other "shower only" people look down the line for when they sell too. You would be limiting the group of future buyers. (Like tub bathers, people with small children, larger dogs to bathe) Normally a tub is expected somewhere in the house.

I have heard some areas, like smaller condos near beaches, tubs are no longer absolutely expected. But a swimming pool or hot tub are often available. And of course the ocean.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Conrad,

Posts: 6884 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        it would definitely subtract from the homes value by quite a lot. It wouldn't be so bad if you had a tub somewhere else
        If I were you, I'd talk to a realtor and see what he thinks

Posts: 2538 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        As nona said, it would lower your prospective future buyers and thus probably lower the value.

That said, if you plan on living in this house and owning it for a LONG time, I would not hesitate to do what you want with the bathroom to make it more enjoyable for you and your needs. Just don't plan on doing the shower and creating added value, nor making it an easy sell eventually, unless you have just the right buyer. It can always be changed back to a tub/shower...just takes some more cash.

Posts: 6884 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I have to agree with what everyone has said. Conventional wisdom for remodels and future selling says that if you plan to live in the house for at least 5 more years then remodel however you want to suit your needs. There is a value to yourself about having your house suit you.

But it will be true that you will hurt your selling chances whenever you do choose to sell. Only because there is a large portion of potential buyers (families with small children or who plan to have kids) that will consider at least one tub in the house as a necessity.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10324 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks everyone for your input. You have presented some issues that need to b e taken into consideration.

Posts: 17 | Location: Elizabeth City, NC | Registered: Nov 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post