All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    how to get remodeling done on a extremely low budget?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

how to get remodeling done on a extremely low budget? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We have a beautiful home in my eyes but my family says its outdated. I need to remodel my kitchen on a low budget. Are there any outlets that sell seconds or just for homeowners who don't have a lot of money? I need cabinets, appliances and design. I am pretty handy just get nervous when I have to do something I never tried before. Confused

Posts: 5 | Location: United States | Registered: Aug 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        "Remodeling" and "Low budget" are rarely seen together in the same sentence. There are ways to sorta get there:

1. Set your sights low. Little things, like painting, different trim etc. can make a huge difference.

2. Search for clearance material, but be careful. Bargains can be found all the time but seconds can be more costly then you think. If you need 500 SF of flooring, don't buy that closeout pile that is 375 SF total unless you know where you can get the rest. Seconds of material like tile are often so much extra work and are of such poor quality that they are not worth it.

3. Real bargains can be found at salvage stores but again, be very selective.

4. Do as much DIY as you can. Research on the internet, buy how-to books or attend how-to seminars at home stores to increase your knowledge and confidence.

5. Start small. Do a small project or a small section of a room or just one thing like rehanging a door. DO NOT jump in and start by remodeling your kitchen or bath.

6. Recognize that some things are just going to cost money and/or take a professional to do it. Things like plumbing and electrical usually fall into this group.

7. Paint is your friend. Fairly inexpensive for materials and tools. Easily redone if you mess up.

8. If you have a big project that you know will be years away before you can afford to do it all, go ahead and spruce up a part of the area - even if you know that in the big plan what you do will be removed later. This is along with the 'think small' way of remodeling. If all you can afford to do now is to paint some walls and install a backsplash - go ahead and do it. It will give you some experience and help brighten up the room even if you are pretty sure that you will tear it all out in three years.

Jaybee

Posts: 10430 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        outdated is a term of a sales pitch. the all stainless steel appliances for the last 5 years was an in thing and a headache to keep clean. well guess what they are outdated according to the latest kitchen journals. if you have a fridge that works ok. and your stove/range does well and you like your home and kitchen cook a good old fashion meal , bake a cake, put some colorful fresh flowers on the counter and enjoy it.
        save up some money in case you will need to replace a fridge or stove (white never goes out of style).can you put on a picture or the type and color of cabinets you have that would be helpful.

Posts: 761 | Registered: Oct 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        The problem here is, How much is low budget.?

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        needhelp, ,i suggest you start buying your materals and store them in your garage, buy a little each week
        in about a year you should have gathered enough to give it a go..if friends and family laugh about your " lay away"
        tell them to pitch in a few bucks. Cool they wont kid you anymore

Posts: 4062 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Frodo I will be bargain shopping soon!

Posts: 5 | Location: United States | Registered: Aug 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        About $100.00 every two weeks.

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        home depot, has a kitchen cabinet section
        they also have a kitchen design person
        that will help you figure out your cabinet configuration
        and will print out a dimension ised print of your kitchen..
        that helps out a lot.

Posts: 4062 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        make your plans now. buy items only when they go on sale, and store them safely... paint must be kept warm, wood must be kept dry and flat, etc. cement, mortar, and grout won't last 3 years in the bag, and don't go on sale for enough to compensate for loss to rockiness.

do your due diligence, and use the Internet to find best practices and materials from reliable sources. when you stumble on a site that details 1-2-3 how to do something, print it out. even if you have already done so for another site. everybody leaves out steps, and frankly, for the same materials, if one source adds three steps that another didn't, the other guys probably got it wrong.

if you need to touch power, gas, plumbing, or structure, you need permits and pros to do it at the "but how do I??" stage. in my city, you can't even open the sink trap to fish out a ring without a permit.

before you nail anything down in a cabinet sort of way, cut out the footprint of your appliances from cardboard, and set 'em down. remember fridges have rounded sides and tops from the foam shoot, so hanging a cabinet at 82 inches for an 81 inch fridge is not going to fly. watch for those gotchas.

in short... plan ahead and bargain shop as a profession.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5822 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        yeah, the darn measurements on a fridge do not take into count the 3/8" hinge at the top Mad

on a gas cook top, watch out where you put the gas valve, drawer wont close

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

posted Hide Post
        THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR ADVISE. HOPEFULLY IN ONE YEAR I WILL BE READY TO PUT IT TOGETHER. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
        Here's lots of ideas to fit your budget...

http://www.familyhandyman.com/...et+make+overs&num=50

.... Let us know what you think.

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Ron45
        Thank you sooooo much for the link. It is exactly what I was looking for. I am amazed. Love it!