I am completely gutting the 1st floor of my 1955 Washington, DC home. It has brick-block walls. Before I ripped everything out the walls had furring strips, lathe and plaster. I am seeing mixed opinions all over the web. Attaching new furring strips would most likely damage the block so I'm just going to frame 2x4 walls and attach the walls to the subfloor and upper joists.
How far from the block should I frame my walls (1 or 2 inch?)
Should I add insulation? I hear insulation without vapor barrier will just mold, but vapor barrier will change the way the house breathes and destroy the brick long term.
If I insulate, what kind should I use? Should I use vapor barrier or weather varrier? Should the barrier go on the inside or outside of new wall?
Side Note: I purchased a lead test kit and the test came up negative for lead in the old walls. According to the forums I should have most certainly had lead, right? I even tested a chunk of broken wall so I could swab all the layers of paint - still nothing. Anyways, all I used was a simple dust mask. Should I be worried about anything?This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jay Mallory,
You should be dead by now! . Actually, no. While potentially dangerous to everyone, the main danger of lead paint ingestion is to young children. If you wore a mask and had decent ventilation then you will be fine. This could all be moot since you did test negative for lead. It is strange that such an old house did not have lead paint in it so it may be a good idea to purchase another round of test swabs from a different source - some are defective out of the box.
For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.