All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Window in Shower..help!
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Window in Shower..help! Sign In/Join 
        posted
        The house I am purchasing has a window right in the shower. Why? I don't know..probably no shower there when the bathroom was built would be my guess, then the next owner put a shower in maybe? My question is, there is now ceramic tile around the whole bathroom, YUK! I will be getting rid of it, but is there anything I can do about this window? I know it has to be protected from the water, really dont want to get rid of it unless I have to, it already has blinds built into the window, but is it possible to put a tub surround up and cut out where the window will go? There is a wood frame around the window, can I get rid of that for the surround? My other option is to just rearrange everything, moving the tub, sink, toilet, but I know that is alot of prob expensive work too..any suggestions? Thank you!

Posts: 212 | Location: Bellwood, PA | Registered: Oct 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        One of the apartments I lived in before purchasing my house had a window in the shower, and it was a godsend. I just opened it after showering and let the moisture escape. Easiest shower I ever had to clean because the moisture didn't accumulate as much as in closed bathrooms.

There may have been a good reason why the owners put a window in the shower, and most likely it was for ventilation. Given the blinds, it might also have been for privacy, and/or just allowing natural light into the area. How close is this house to the neighboring house?

Perhaps you could ask the existing owners before the deal closes and get some insight.

Is this the same house you posted about sometime ago, the one with possibly visiting bears?

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        thanks sprite! No different house..the first didn't accept my offer..oh well! But, yes, I do need to find a way to put up a surround around the window if possible. As I said the whole bathroom is that ugly yellow and green 6x6 ceramic tile, which I hate, I know to use backerboard in the tub/shower, then the surround, but the window..do I remove the existing wood frame? I am thinking I do to avoid the rot, but how do I take care of the rest of the window so there is no water damage? Im pretty sure it is vinyl with the blinds built in to it, so what next? I havent even moved in yet, but already planning!! Want to redo as soon as I become the owner, the past owner has died and its the out of town kids selling it, so they are not an option. Guess I will have to just go see the bears on my own time now, since I didn't get the other house.. Wink

Posts: 212 | Location: Bellwood, PA | Registered: Oct 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Perhaps just as well about the other house; as I recall, it had some significant drainage issues.

I don't have the expertise to answer the technical aspects of your question on adapting to the window, but there are certainly people here who do and I'm sure they'll stop by.

Do you have any photos you could post for them? Might make it easier to see exactly what's there on the shower wall.

And you can probably enjoy the bears more if you see them at a zoo instead of in your backyard!

posted Hide Post
        I will try to find the pic with the window,,ur right about the bears! haha!! Razz

posted Hide Post
        Here is the pic..the only one available, but it does show the window and the wood frame and the ugly tile around it.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Several options that we have done many times:

1. If the existing window is vinyl, then you can keep it where it is. The wood trim has to go though. You can trim into your new surround with vinyl trim. Or, if the new surround s tile, you can use bullnose tile to trim up to the vinyl of the window jamb.

2. You can loose this window completely and replace it with a glass block window. You can build it from scratch or just custom order a pre-built one of the correct size. Pricing is not much different with either option. Here too, any trim work needs to be a totally waterproof material.

3. Make the window go away. This is the best option if you are installing a prefab fiberglass surround. Just remove all interior trim that protrudes bast the wall line, clean the window very well and paint the glass white from the inside. If you have room between the window and the surround, add some insulation. Then install your surround right over the old window. Usually, for normal window and surround heights, you'll need to add a small strip of drywall to cover the top of the window.

From the inside, there is no window there at all. From the outside, it looks like a window with the shades drawn all the time. But doing this keeps you from having to re-do siding on the exterior.

Jaybee

Posts: 10152 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Jaybee! I like option 1 the best..because I do want to keep the window for the light coming in. I plan on remodeling the whole bathroom, getting rid of all that ugly tile. Guess that must have been a hot item in the 40's because the house I am in now, had that same tile in the shower/bath and I knocked it out and put up backerboard and it looked great! Not myself of course, but I knocked it out, a great stress reliever!! Ha ha..now that I know it can be done, I will have it done. And it will be just a fiberglass surround, I didn't know they sold tile surrounds! Thanks again! Much appreciated!! Im sure I will have more questions as the buying of this house comes upon me!

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        If it's any consolation, I think the tiles are charming, in a Victorian sort of way. I'd change the shower curtain to a solid color, but to me the bathroom has a lot of character, but then I do love old Victorians and period houses.

posted Hide Post
        Hi Sprite, yes, I definitely plan on changing the shower curtain..that on is hideous!! Like I said, I am not yet the owner of the house..so haven't changed anything yet!! And, if there are tile surrounds, I will look into them..thanks!

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        To clarify: You MAKE tile surrounds - liner, backer, install tile one at a time. There is no tile surround that is in one big piece to install.

Other surrounds can be fiberglass, vinyl (usually cheaper versions) or made up of solid surface panels.

Jaybee

Posts: 10152 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi xslii.. many homes in my neighbor hood added showers over tub with a window on outside wall. what most done was to block off window and add new window above shower head. May be this will work for you. Good luck. most homes have stucco exteriors

Posts: 120 | Location: San Luis Obispo,Ca | Registered: Jan 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        In the meantime, (till you decide to renovate), a clear shower curtain hung over the wall with the window, would keep any water from damaging the area.

Posts: 6865 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi Jaybee, that is what I thought..thanks!
        granpaB, thanks but I think I will leave the window where it is..the shower head is already to the right of the pic..
        Conrad, thanks thats is what they have there now to protect the wood on the window..HATE IT!! Hopefully that will be one of the first projects I take on!! Haha

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        heres my solution..i had a rental,it had a window in the shower..it had wood rot and mildew
        i fixed the wood...then hung a nice curtain in the window
        and installed a cultured marble surround over the window...from outside...looked good
        from inside..looked even better.

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post