All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    I want to Reface my fireplace...
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

I want to Reface my fireplace... Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I want to reface my fireplace and I would like suggestions. Do I need to tear everything down that is currently up? I want to make it a stone wall with a reclaimed wooden mantel. I know I will have to get rid of both the tile surround and replace the tile insert on the floor, but I don't know what to do with the rest of it. I need help. I can't attach the pictures I have for some reason...

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You need to prep it so that it can accept the stone. This means that any added on surface (like tile) or any protrusions will need to be removed. If you are down to brick, then you can add stone directly on top of that. If it's a frame wall behind the tile, then you will need to build back with a backer board or a lathe wire stucco. The main thing is that you have a single smooth plane from floor to however high up you want to go with the stone.

Jaybee

Posts: 10127 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        jaybee is correct. if i may add ..
        on the wire mesh, it is wise to add a scratch coat
        then the rock.

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi Karen.Schmitt,

The reason your pictures fail to show up in your post is because your picture is likely larger than 100Kb in size. This is the size limit that this site has for each picture to post properly in your message.

To overcome this problem, post your pictures on a Free site such at http://www.photobucket.com where there is no size limit to your pictures and you just need to sign up for a Free Account, then upload your pictures. Then return to the DIY Boards and post your message and include links to your pictures at photobucket in your message. In this way others can see your pictures using the links and have a better idea of how to assist you in your project.

Good Luck!

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post