All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Create new external window in basement
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Create new external window in basement Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am planning to build a new room in basement as you see in Pic 1.

I need to open a new window (red color lines) on that wall to the outside. There was already a similar window on the left of it (not in Pic 2) which was 70" x 17". I want this new window to be as high as possible near the ceiling. So my question is: what is the minimum width of the header I can do? Assuming I would do it 70" wide as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: quanghoc,

Posts: 280 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        This is the framing diagram I am planning to follow

Posts: 280 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        First a note on your framing plan: headers that are over 5' (60") wide will require double jack studs on either side. Also, jack studs are continuous and are not split by the window sill plate as shown in your drawing.

On to the header: A lot depends on what is above there as you are on the border between using a double 2x8 with 1/2" plywood filler header vs a double 2x10. By your drawing, either will drop down into the room too far for the look you want. You can also go with steel and will guess that around a 4-1/2" to 5" steel beam will do the trick, but you will need to get that confirmed to meet local codes.

And of course the big question is to make sure that there is open air behind that window area.

Jaybee

Posts: 10452 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        The current window in basement has 10" from ceiling to the top edge of the window. So I assume 2x10 was used.

I like your suggestion on steel beam. It could cost a bit more and add 5" max. I have to think about that after I open up the wall. Let me check back in a few weeks with more photos...

posted Hide Post
        So after thinking about this several days, I decided to cancel this project. The layout of this room is just odd / awkward according to many people!!

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Just offering some support here....

Are the "many people" going to live in the house?

Do YOU and your family want the room? If so, go for it if you still feel up to it.

Posts: 1949 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        There are not many people but we came up with this idea is because 2 rooms were already occupied with stuffs (clothing - due to small masterbed and business). So this is mainly for guests (as there is only 1 guest room now). But we had a second thought because we don't get many guests per year anyways Razz

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Dare I say it but you can create the room and use it as a guest room even without a window. It would not be considered a 'bedroom' especially if you sold the house but it could be considered an office or storeroom.

But since you have infrequent guests it could still be used as such without a window.

Jaybee

Posts: 10452 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the advise @GardenSprite @Jaybee