All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Cedar Planks and Built-In Wardrobes...What to do?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Cedar Planks and Built-In Wardrobes...What to do? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hey everyone.

Question.

I am putting in floor to ceiling wardrobes (excited!) and am also going to put up Cedar planks on the walls.

Obviously putting the cedar up behind the wardrobes is a waste since they will just cover up the boards.

I am considering two options at this point.

1) Put cedar planks up so they go behind the back edges of the cabinet for stability/look. This means the finished back of the wardrobe would sit against the cedar planks.

2) Mount wardrobe directly to bare wall, then install the cedar planks so they butt up against the cabinet as close as possible.

I can't decide which will look better...Thoughts???

Thanks!
        Mike

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        beware of plain old cedar. for a cedar closet, you want aromatic cedar. it's not 12 and 16 foot boards in the back yard, it comes in little boxes at better than a buck a square foot.

you COULD just line the back of the wardrobes...

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5858 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the reply. I definitely got aromatic cedar, it smells awesome!

Ultimately I decided that the right answer was to put the cedar behind the edges of the wardrobes, but not across the entire back...Just enough to ensure a solid back and create a seamless edge. The benefit was that it GREATLY reduced the number of cuts I had to make and allowed me to line up the wall edge perfectly, too, so no need to run quarter-round since the wall corners are nice, too.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post