All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Insulation
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Insulation Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We currently are in the process of remodeling a home. We are living in south Florida, the home was built in 1980 and is wood framed. We had to take down most of the dry wall due to mold (house was vacant for two years). My husband and I are debating whether or not we should get new insulation. He feels there is not much benefit in savings if we install new. thoughts? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Also, is anti-mold resistant dry wall worth the extra few bucks?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        yes, the insulation is chock full of spores, and nasty. also blocks air cells, which is the real insulator in insulation. dump that stuff in the dumpster and replace it. being Florida, I'd consider spray foaming it for a water barrier in case of hurricanes, too.

moldproof drywall down there in the high heat and humidity is the right stuff. I'd go all the way and get the fiberglass-faced "can't mold ever" stuff, not the green or blue mold-resistant material.

if you don't do it right, you do it again. and then rising costs will double the job, so you're paying 3 times for the same work. no-brainer when I sit here and do the math.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5512 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I think call an expert and then take any decision.Its my personal opinion to you .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: brendanuchima,

Posts: 1 | Location: 2201 W Millbrook Rd | Registered: Jun 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by brendanuchima:
        I think call an expert and then take any decision.Its my personal opinion to you .

I agree, but call three different expects while you are at it.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1410 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Monga, I have no financial motivation for this, but I'd like to recommend that you view some of Matt Risinger's videos, for example
        Matt Risinger video on insulation

He is located in a climate pretty similar to yours (Austin, Texas).

Let us all know how you tackle the task. Best of luck!

Posts: 264 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post