All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Electrical run for gas fireplace
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Electrical run for gas fireplace Sign In/Join 
        posted
        So, to set the stage here's what i've got:

1. Moved into a house with a wood burning fireplace that had been converted to a gas logset
        2. We're taking out the gas logset and installing a direct vent heatilator (with fan)
        3. Our masonry for the fireplace backs right into the garage, so there's plenty of access to drill through and run cable from all 3 sides of the firebox

I will:
        1. Add a service disconnect outside for easy servicing of the new insert
        2. I've run electrical for entire house reno's with successful permit approvals. I'd love to do this myself, but this is my first time doing an insert install

My question:
        1. Do i run armored cable (bx) into the fireplace for the electrical
        2. Can i do conduit in the garage and just run nm into the fireplace
        3. Fireblock foam or fireproof mortar around the entrance hole into the interior of the fireplace?

Thanks for your help. I live in Northern VA (Fairfax)

Scott

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        take a drawing of what you have in the house, and what you want to do on another page, down to the inspector's office and ask them. there is the standard code, and there are city variants. you want this to be done right, it's gas and it's heat. also take a picture of the existing gas feed with you. lot of old flex-type pipe is now outlawed, you may have to re-run that.

the new insert likely will also require a type II (inside/outside insulated pipe, the expensive stuff) dropped down the existing chimney to a new hood and cap.

this is one of those things I would personally not DIY, I'd have it professionally installed, permitted, and inspected.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5860 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have no intention of doing anything more then the electrical drop. The company that we bought the unit from pulls all the gas permits does the gas line installation, unit installation and chimney liners. The only thing they require the owner to do is get the electrical drop installed.

It all looks straight forward given the fireproofing of current units and standard installation protocols for framing NEW installation that create bulkheads/chases in already finished spaces.

My question was to the particulars of the bx electrical run in existing masonry. I always do consult local code in the process of pulling permits, but electrical work for gas fireplaces seems to be a delightfully ambiguous area.

V/r

Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        SargeH, I'm curious, will the new unit be hard wired or is it a cord & plug set up?

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1583 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It can run either way. Comes with a cord, but can be hardwired. I prefer hardwired.