All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    How much Wood for Cabinets??
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

How much Wood for Cabinets?? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello! I am a new user here for the DYI forums and Im in the process of redoing my house a bit, I was looking for kitchen cabinets and I couldn't find any "affordable ones" I know cabinets are crazy expensive so I decided to build my own, I found a lot of videos and plans and it seems easy enough so I want to try at least one to see if I have talent for cabinets, so here is my question

How much wood do I need? The first cabinet Im going to make is the sink cabinets the dimensions are going to be 36x34.5x24 How much wood would I need??? at my local hardware store they sell plywood at for around 45-50 bucks a sheet that 2x8 or 4x4 etc, how many sheets would I need and what Size??

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Sorry man, but if you have to ask those questions, you are way in over your head. This is not a DIY 'starter' project. But you can buy too much, and take back what you don't use, or use it on the next cabinet, assuming you continue. There isn't a woodworker in the world that doesn't have spare pieces laying around.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 949 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the pros block out their work on paper, especially if they want to grain-match or bookend, and they make sure, true cuts with solid equipment.

yeah, they're just boxes. but they have to hold up to being kicked, and new refrigerators banged into them by accident, and backed into, and sat upon, and look good and hold up for at least 30 years. they have to be square and true, drawers straight and properly aligned. no visible nails. no greasy pawprints that can't be finished over.

if you're dead set on doing this, you need to build your skills before you make your first real cabinet. at minimum you need a track saw or a solid, really solid, table saw with a wide base and a good solid fence, not some $250 bargain with a quarter inch of dust on it in the closeout corner. if the saw rises off the floor while you're ripping a piece of plywood, nothing is going to go well.

if you are going to do this once, the cost of the tools will run your DIY cabinets well up over the cost of just buying decent ones. if you are going to use the tools for 3 to 5 years in redoing the house, it's probably break-even.

build a table first. nice, square, furniture-grade table, corner braces holding the legs which can be cut from staircase balusters. pretty enough to put 5 layers of poly on after staining and carry with you to boast about.

if you can pull that off, you can try the cabinets.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5727 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post