DIY Message Boards
Hot water mess and floors

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4291013504/m/7033941208

Mar 27, 2014, 11:03 PM
Baddodge
Hot water mess and floors
Hello all I just got done cleaning up the mess my water tank pipes caused. My wife and I are planing on doing hard woods this year. My H/W tank and W/D are at the end of the kitchen. Does anyone know of a product that is like a shower floor pan? I know of the pans for H/W tank but need it to also work for the W/D all at once. The water tank is shoved into the corner. It also needs to be able to hold up to needing to move the W/D moved accross it.
Mar 28, 2014, 03:55 AM
Jaybee
There are individual shallow trays available to put under water heaters and washers - shallow metal or plastic trays with a drain hole to adapt to a PVC drain line. Their only purpose is to provide protection in the event of a water leak from those appliances.

You don't need one for the dryer but if your installation is such any metal fab shop can make a custom tray to fit whatever your layout is.

Jaybee
Mar 28, 2014, 03:29 PM
Baddodge
I've see the metal pans. I'm talking about something like a walk in shower to cover both at the same time. I have a full size stack W/D so dryer is set back a few inches off washer.
Mar 29, 2014, 01:25 AM
Jaybee
If the water heater and the washer/dryer are in a separate utility room than you can remodel to make that room floor like a shower base. Total rehab of the floor to make a pitched floor with a waterproof liner, tile floor and a drain. Depending on the size of the room it will set you back several thousand dollars.

Compared to maybe $150 to $300 for a couple of trays with a 1" PVC drain.

Jaybee
Mar 29, 2014, 12:13 PM
swschrad
just mumbling out loud, you will have maintenance with a pan. dryer lint will collect in the drain line and need to be poked out periodically.

a PVC pan would work well, at least you don't have the issues with corrosion you would have with a color film processor. I rebuilt a high photo sink, stainless, to slide under a Jamieson Compact 16/35. processing chemicals rotted through it in 4 months, the floor of that basement film room was stained a nasty blue from color developer in no time. you should be able to use prefab shower pans 3x3 at about $60 each. they were stocked at my yard, anybody can get them ordered in.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?