All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Hot water mess and floors
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Hot water mess and floors Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello all I just got done cleaning up the mess my water tank pipes caused. My wife and I are planing on doing hard woods this year. My H/W tank and W/D are at the end of the kitchen. Does anyone know of a product that is like a shower floor pan? I know of the pans for H/W tank but need it to also work for the W/D all at once. The water tank is shoved into the corner. It also needs to be able to hold up to needing to move the W/D moved accross it.

Posts: 2 | Location: From the wet side of Wa state | Registered: Mar 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        There are individual shallow trays available to put under water heaters and washers - shallow metal or plastic trays with a drain hole to adapt to a PVC drain line. Their only purpose is to provide protection in the event of a water leak from those appliances.

You don't need one for the dryer but if your installation is such any metal fab shop can make a custom tray to fit whatever your layout is.

Jaybee

Posts: 10452 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I've see the metal pans. I'm talking about something like a walk in shower to cover both at the same time. I have a full size stack W/D so dryer is set back a few inches off washer.

Posts: 2 | Location: From the wet side of Wa state | Registered: Mar 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If the water heater and the washer/dryer are in a separate utility room than you can remodel to make that room floor like a shower base. Total rehab of the floor to make a pitched floor with a waterproof liner, tile floor and a drain. Depending on the size of the room it will set you back several thousand dollars.

Compared to maybe $150 to $300 for a couple of trays with a 1" PVC drain.

Jaybee

Posts: 10452 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        just mumbling out loud, you will have maintenance with a pan. dryer lint will collect in the drain line and need to be poked out periodically.

a PVC pan would work well, at least you don't have the issues with corrosion you would have with a color film processor. I rebuilt a high photo sink, stainless, to slide under a Jamieson Compact 16/35. processing chemicals rotted through it in 4 months, the floor of that basement film room was stained a nasty blue from color developer in no time. you should be able to use prefab shower pans 3x3 at about $60 each. they were stocked at my yard, anybody can get them ordered in.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post