All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Radiant Heat in Ceiling
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Radiant Heat in Ceiling Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I want to do a remodel in my kitchen, but I have radiant heating in the ceiling throughout the house. There is a wall that I want to take out, but it has the thermostat on it and needs to be relocated. I also want to put new lighting in there as well. I am not sure where to begin. I should not have a problem rerouting the thermostat, but I am concerned about how to work in the ceiling to run electric and install new fixtures. Any tips?!?

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Unless you have X-ray vision I'd go to plan B and change your plans.

joecaption

Posts: 18026 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        do you have radiant heat in your ceiling? or..below the floor in the ceiling above you? if under the floor, in the ceiling above you...the pipes or cable should be attached to the underside of the floor
        with a heat/tinfoil insulation under it..
        if its above the ceiling,,and acting as heat for the room below
        as others have said...plan b

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You cannot do much to remodel with ceiling radiant heat. It is almost impossible to locate all the wires so it's a real crap shoot if you have to cut into the ceiling at all. Usually, the wires are about 4" apart, but since they are set inbetween two layers of drywall / plaster you just can't be sure. The general advice for remodeling with Ceilheat is to leave everything alone.

Now I'll butt in with some general advice from a contractor: Seriously consider investing the money to dump the Ceilheat and install a forced air system. Ceilheat has a lot of bad things about it and nothing good - other than in your case the fact that it's what you currently have. It is expensive to run and only heats the upper 4' of a room, leaving the floor cold. Take a look at your winter electric bills and run the numbers. Usually if you change out from Ceilheat to a more modern system you will get total payback in just a few years.

Jaybee

Posts: 10327 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        That was one of those ideas long ago when electricity was cheap that sounded good on paper.
        Who ever came up with it must have been asleep the day in class when they discussed how heat rises.

joecaption

Posts: 18026 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        I agree, and always had though that whomever designed this set up was asleep during science class.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1440 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by CommonwealthSparky:
        I agree, and always had though that whomever designed this set up was asleep during science class.

Or maybe owned a power company.

Jaybee

Posts: 10327 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        That could be as well. Luckily I think that we ran into such a Rube Goldberg like set up only once. Ant the homeowner hated it as really it heated the second floor addition above the system, but that had heat in the room as well. Sauna like conditions in that room we were told.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1440 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post