All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    building pantry in garage - foundation? can build on existing?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

building pantry in garage - foundation? can build on existing? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi all,
        First time post after a lot of reading. I'm thinking of building a pantry off our kitchen, into our garage. I have checked code and we can get a decent sized one in there without hitting the minimum garage size restrictions.

However, I don't know if I have to/should break up the concrete garage floor where I intend to build, or if I can build on top of the concrete.

I realize this might be an obvious and even dumb question. But we all start somewhere.
        thanks.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        You can build this right on top of the concrete floor. Make sure you use pressure treated wood for the bottom plates that will be in contact with the garage floor. Will this pantry open to the garage or to the house? If it opens to the garage you might want to put in an exterior door to seal it against the garage better. This will give you a better chance of keeping mice out of your pantry. If you are going to break through the wall between your house and your garage to have it open into the house make sure the walls of the pantry are fire rated. This may mean covering the garage side with 5/8" drywall instead of 1/2". Seal it up well to keep out the critters that may visit your garage.

The walls of your pantry won't be carrying a load, so you won't need footers under the pantry. The existing slab will be plenty.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 627 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Although you didn't ask this, it might be relevant. Perhaps you've already considered it though, and if so, I apologize for raising the issue.

Are you in a climate zone subject to freezing, and if so, will the pantry location be protected from the possibility of freezing? I ask because I'm assuming you might be storing canned or bottled goods which could be affected by freezing temperatures.

I've had experience with pop cans freezing and splitting, creating quite a mess.

This article may help keep the issue in perspective.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/h...g/emerinfofood04.htm

On another issue, though, your questions are really interesting because they raise the issue of expanding food storage into other areas, especially if the existing pantries are already full. Thanks for giving me some ideas!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the replies. First - no freezing. Northern CA. But I had thought about that anyway.

I will not be breaking through the wall - not all of it.

Idea is to leave the current fire-rated door leading into garage. This is mostly to keep the access we currently have for the furnace and water treatment as-is. And it wouldn't add a lot more room to the pantry if we included it anyway. So access to garage stays the same.

So I put in a new door in the wall currently separating the house from garage, into the new pantry space. I will fire-rate the wall anyway, as I prefer safe than sorry.

And I'm glad I can just go into the concrete floor, and I will be sure to use pressure treated.

allan

posted Hide Post
        suggestions on building the sub floor? I was presuming I'd put some kind of ledger (wrong term? sorry - I hope you get the idea) on the wall that separates the kitchen, perhaps also along the sides. then joists from that to wherever I'm building the new supports for the floor.

I got the tip to use pressure-treated for the pieces on the bottom, but how to build up to the right height?

thanks,
        allan

posted Hide Post
        oh wait - just saw one example where they basically built a wall with studes up on the new sides, then put the ledger onto that. that would work!

let me know if that's a bad idea..
        allan