All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    REMOVABLE RAILINGS
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

REMOVABLE RAILINGS Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am renovating a house built in the 1840's and need a little help with how to do the railing on the second floor. The second floor is a 3/4 story so the ceiling is very low, if I put a normal height railing I will never be able to get my furniture upstairs. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for making a railing that is standard height but that I can remove or "fold over" in order to get large items up and down the stairs.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Since moving furniture is going to be a rare event, you can make a railing that can be completely removed with a few tools.

Several ways to do this but one way would be to make a rail system with a solid bottom plate. To install, the bottom plate is screwed to the floor and the rail ends attached with rosettes at the ends. Depending on the actual run and layout, you may need newel posts at one end or the other. Screws in the rosettes and on the bottom plate can be covered with removable plugs.

Jaybee

Posts: 10116 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Basically, the solution is simple; we would use a few screws to attach a base plate to the floor and one on the railing that would be attached to the wall. In some instances we will place a removable wooden plug to cover the screw. In other instances we will use a decorative screw, for example, a slotted brass or chrome screw. When a newel post is required, we will used a nut and bolt system. The goal is to easily remove the guardrail and put it back in place with little effort.

Posts: 16 | Location: NY | Registered: Mar 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hello.. One of the new best ideas for cable railings is to have stainless steel railing. Check our designs. And take an expert's advice and ideas regarding railings.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: isabella1122,

Posts: 1 | Location: Philippines | Registered: May 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post