All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Under stucco Surprise
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Under stucco Surprise Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We recently purchase our first home which is stucco, we removed the stucco ourselves per our budget. I don't think there is one board that is not rotten or missing blah. My question is are we looking at a total loss is that possible to replace the framing of the house on a budget?

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I can't answer the technical aspects of your question but, in terms of remediation:

1. Did you get any disclosures of defects from the seller prior to purchasing the house?

2. Have you reviewed your homeowner's policy to determine if you can file a claim for the damages?

3. Was any inspection done on the house before purchase?

I certainly can sympathize with you; this must have been a horrible shock. Frown

Posts: 1923 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        we bought on a foreclosure it happened pretty quick due to others wanting the house, which now would have been my dream come true. Pretty much I think they could see we knew nothing on this first buy Frown So I think we are stuck. I feel like we have the same look when we are trying to find a contractor, they are just waiting to get one over on us Frown

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        If it's any consolation, I don't think anyone "saw you coming" and thought they could put something over on you, especially if you didn't have a chance to look over the house thoroughly and/or bought at an auction.

Some foreclosures can be good buys; others less so.

Still, I've been told foreclosed houses generally are sold "as is" and the most you could expect in the way of improvement is paint and new carpeting.

I think I'd find out first from a structural engineer if the house is safe, given all the rot. There are others here who can offer much more detailed advice than I as to your other options.

I do wish you luck; this must be very disappointing. Maybe you can get a home improvement loan if your county offers them (mine does). They're typically either low interest, no interest until the property is sold, or the owner dies.

Alternatively, if the house is structurally unsafe, your community may have HUD loans for improvement of safety issues.

Posts: 1923 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        How about posting some pictures so we can see what your calling a total loss?
        Figured out what caused all the rot so it can be fixed and not have it happen again?
        What made you decide to remove the stucco?
        Even with a home inspection often times there's hidden damage that no one would have know about.
        Buying a home under those conditions is buying a pig in a poke.
        If I was not allowed to go over the house from top to bottom before buying I would have ran away. My pockets are just not that deep.

joecaption

Posts: 18032 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        there was a lot of plastic "stucco" coating in our area that led to whole walls rotted out. lots of lawsuits. same old story, impervious walls outside need air and drip space behind them, between the sheathing and the wall coat. I hear there are similar issues with slap-on veneer stone that is laid up with the same lack of moisture relief.

in the old days, there were metal hangars on which the lath or mesh was laid, and then the cemented stucco. that stuff cracks, but if maintained lasts darn near forever. the only houses in the path of the F5 Fargo tornado in 1957 that weren't flattened were stucco.

you obviously need to redo the damage, and you will need a local survey by a contractor to determine what you have to deal with. you probably have no legal recourse if you can't trace the chain of product, builder/applicator, and permits. it's possible you could knock yourselves out for a couple months and redo as DIY provided you research best practices, convince the city you are good for the work and get the permit and inspections, and top off with vinyl siding.

it's going to be a financial hit, but it has to be done.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5784 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks I think that is what exactly we are going to have to do, It will be a long journey but a journey we must take none the less. Thank goodness for DIY videos, and tips lol

Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Still no pictures?

joecaption

Posts: 18032 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        not sure how to post pics hope I doing this right

posted Hide Post
        pic 2

posted Hide Post
        pic 3

posted Hide Post
        surprise, surprise! -- bad surprise. if those are the exterior studs, and that's all the way around, it's time to move out for extensive repairs. those are not pretty pictures.

if that is sheathing and the studs are still solid, it's still a serious project. but doable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5784 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        yes sadly those are the exterior studs and all the way around the house. Some places we bird feathers in the walls lol interesting. but our hands full is an understatement :/