DIY Message Boards
Basement Ceiling in 2' x 2' tin panels

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4291013504/m/5953986377

Sep 09, 2013, 11:22 AM
Frederick_don
Basement Ceiling in 2' x 2' tin panels
Good Morning,

My wife and I are at a stand still. We would like to put 2x2 tin ceiling tiles up on the future mancave. The tile are of the nail up variety complete with filler panels for around the edges of the rooms and cornice. The ceiling is 91" from floor to bottom of joist and the joist are 16" OC. The tile must be nailed every 6". We are sure furring strips should be used. My question is; should I build a grid out of 2"x 2" furring then move it up and attach to joist or place some kind of blocking between the joist(flush)?

Sep 09, 2013, 09:40 PM
Jaybee
Put up 1/2" plywood or OSB to cover the entire ceiling area. It doesn't even have to be the most precise install - your seams don't need to be lined up and you can patch in odd shaped areas. Just use the sheathing to cover the entire ceiling area, then you can attach your 2x2 panels however fits the pattern. Plus, the 1/2" is thinner than any furring strips and with your low ceiling you need every fraction of an inch you can get.

Jaybee
Sep 10, 2013, 08:22 AM
Frederick_don
Heading to Lowes this morning. Opted for the 7/16 OSB. After setting down and planing out the furring strips, it would have been more of headache than what it would be worth.