All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Is your house a money pit?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Is your house a money pit? Sign In/Join 
        Picture of moneypitwriter
        posted
        Hi, my name is MP Dunleavey and I'm the money writer for Woman's Day. I'm looking for a woman to profile, ideally in her 30s to 50s, with kids--and a house that's become a money pit. If you're interested, please respond here as I don't think I'm allowed to include contact info, but I am trying to clear it with the moderator. Thank you!

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        For what purpose? What does the woman get in return? Are you planning to publish an article in WD about such a woman, and if so, do you expect her to waive any IP rights? What compensation will she get? Are you offering assistance to fix up her house?

Your criteria are broad with no indication what benefits, if any, accrue to the woman. Nor have you established any criteria for "profiling" anyone.

In addition, given that there have been massive spam problems here, I'm not sure the admins would endorse any direct contact method. That would put them in a position of supporting direct contact with someone about whom they know nothing. If you aren't who you say you are, they're intermediaries if not facilitators.

Have you advertised in WD? Seems like that would be a priority audience for you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1916 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        ALL houses are money pits. give 'em time if they aren't. fact is weather, wind, water, temperature extremes, critters, wear and tear mean there should always be some maintenance item on the honey-do list, or being eyed before you feel you can afford to call a contractor for bids.

not to mention appliances. you fix one, the rest notice, and they start failing by the numbers because they're lonely, too. the dishwasher was not doing squat, so I finally had to break down, figure out how to break IT down, and clean the whole thing out. total inside disassembly and scrub out, run a quart of vinegar through, etc. tossed all the cherry pits, broken ceramic, and scads of paper strands. I'm sure this all started when I bought new drip pans for the stove.

or maybe it started two weeks ago when the big freezer in the basement failed... .

so Monday the wife was cleaning the fridge, and the bottom glass shelf shattered. didn't get all the glass out of the disposer, and I had to break it up with the hand wrench. if I hadn't installed a cast iron sink, I would have split or bent any alternative yanking the Z-wrench and wrecked it.

thank goodness the furnace is too far away to notice, it's had a few intermittents the past two seasons, but not a hard enough fail for the repairman to find the problem.

oh, yeah, houses are a barrel of fun. if you can't do most of the work yourself, you WILL be broke.

but they are HOME, and you set them up how you want, and nobody can come along and beat you for it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5746 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        [QUOTE]Originally posted by swschrad:

not to mention appliances. you fix one, the rest notice, and they start failing by the numbers because they're lonely, too.

[QUOTE]

Appliance loneliness is a major problem in my house too. The old ones miss their friends and misbehave until they too are recycled.

And then there are the temperamental plumbing fixtures. Least little bit of a problem and one acts up, then like little children, the others join in with their own fits.

Posts: 1916 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        "feng shui" translates to English as "kerappe whisperer" Wink

only part of the time, it ain't whispering Wink

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5746 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post