All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Remodel fireplace - rip out floor tiles?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Remodel fireplace - rip out floor tiles? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am remodeling the fireplace to make it look like this

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-k6Q8...92911_finishedfp.gif

I want to change the brick color tiles. But should I completely dig and pull them out or can I just lay the new tiles on top of it? See red circle in the photo. I don't mind the bottom to be a bit taller than the carpet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: quanghoc,

Posts: 284 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Any thought here folks?

Thanks in advance

Posts: 284 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        There is no reason why you cannot overlay over the existing floor tile. There are a couple of things to consider though:

1. If you are installing a larger sized hearth, then the perimeter of the existing tile is a potential crack area. With two different subfloor surfaces under your new tile, there will be different expansion issues going on.

2. Similar thing - you'll likely have a height difference between the existing tile and the subfloor next to it. If your new material will extend out past the existing you may have to build up the subfloor around the old tile perimeter.

3. Have you tried to remove the old tile? For a small, flat section like this, they usually pop up fairly easily. A hammer and chisel from the side does the trick. Once the old tile is gone you are no longer concerned with the tile edge issue.

Jaybee

Posts: 10483 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Jaybee, thanks for the advise. I was just thinking of a lazy way but I guess pulling it may as well be worth the time. Smile