DIY Message Boards
installation. then plastic

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4291013504/m/5313915108

Feb 24, 2014, 09:25 PM
phillish
installation. then plastic
Im installing. My walls I want to put plastic on the walls before. I put drywall up my husband said to put roll roofing. Instead. Which. One if any is better
Feb 24, 2014, 10:00 PM
joecaption
Please go back and reread your post and see if it makes any since to you.
Going to have to guess what it is your asking.
Installation = insulation?
What type insulation are you using?
The more details you give the faster you get answers, not more questions.

joecaption
Feb 25, 2014, 11:33 AM
swschrad
tarpaper or house wrap goes on the outside, label side to the wind, so moisture can escape from exterior walls. tape seams as/if recommended by the material manufacturer.

8 mil plastic goes on the inside studs over the insulation before the drywall goes up, as both a wind shield and to block moisture transfer. seams should be taped, the inspectors look for "red tape" which adhesive does not dry up and fall off.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Feb 26, 2014, 07:50 AM
phillish
This is very helpful. Thank you
Feb 26, 2014, 12:02 PM
Sparky617
Also, if you use plastic on the inside you want to use unfaced insulation. Faced insulation has a vapor barrier built in to the craft paper. You run the risk of trapping water between the two vapor barriers if you use plastic over top of faced insulation.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.