All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Finish Space Above Attic
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Finish Space Above Attic Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Good Morning All!

I live in a house that is about 8 years old. We have an unfinished space above the attached garage that we hope to someday convert into an extra bedroom. In the mean time, however, I'd like to make it a usable storage area. The ceiling joists in the garage are 2x10, 24" on center. I'm going to have someone with more knowledge than me confirm they can hold the load (there's plenty of room in the garage for extra beams if needed). There are 4 light fixtures in the garage (so the electrical runs through the ceiling) and the garage ceiling is dry-walled.

It's my intention not to have to re-do the attic floor or garage ceiling insulation after they've been done first so I assume I'm going to over-engineer it for just a storage area.

I have two questions about this project:

1. What type of insulation should go in the floor of the attic?

2. What materials should I use for the floor?
        - if it matters, I won't be able to get 4x8 sheets up there; if possible I plan on ripping the sheets of flooring down as much as is necessary.

Thanks!
        Andrew

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        4x8 sheets of 3/4 plywood not partical board...
        i would put in r19 roll bat then the ply over it..why cant you get the ply up there?
        it should go up the fold down stair hole, dont install the stairs till material is up there..or if you have siding on the outside of your home, take a pc off, put your plywood in the attic, put back the siding

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3850 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the quick reply!

There's no pull down steps, just a hatch and a ladder. The opening is about 24" x 30".

Will anything else need to go down when we put up the walls of the room and insulate the whole thing?

Andrew

Edit: didn't see in the op where you said how thick plywood.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AndrewMays,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If you are going to use it for storage than go ahead and install a pull down stair. Then you have a hole large enough for 4x8 sheets. I'd go with 3/4" Advantec.

Jaybee

Posts: 10350 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post