DIY Message Boards
Finish Space Above Attic

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4291013504/m/5183986577

Dec 05, 2013, 09:36 AM
AndrewMays
Finish Space Above Attic
Good Morning All!

I live in a house that is about 8 years old. We have an unfinished space above the attached garage that we hope to someday convert into an extra bedroom. In the mean time, however, I'd like to make it a usable storage area. The ceiling joists in the garage are 2x10, 24" on center. I'm going to have someone with more knowledge than me confirm they can hold the load (there's plenty of room in the garage for extra beams if needed). There are 4 light fixtures in the garage (so the electrical runs through the ceiling) and the garage ceiling is dry-walled.

It's my intention not to have to re-do the attic floor or garage ceiling insulation after they've been done first so I assume I'm going to over-engineer it for just a storage area.

I have two questions about this project:

1. What type of insulation should go in the floor of the attic?

2. What materials should I use for the floor?
- if it matters, I won't be able to get 4x8 sheets up there; if possible I plan on ripping the sheets of flooring down as much as is necessary.

Thanks!
Andrew
Dec 05, 2013, 12:40 PM
Frodo
4x8 sheets of 3/4 plywood not partical board...
i would put in r19 roll bat then the ply over it..why cant you get the ply up there?
it should go up the fold down stair hole, dont install the stairs till material is up there..or if you have siding on the outside of your home, take a pc off, put your plywood in the attic, put back the siding

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E
Dec 05, 2013, 12:52 PM
AndrewMays
Thanks for the quick reply!

There's no pull down steps, just a hatch and a ladder. The opening is about 24" x 30".

Will anything else need to go down when we put up the walls of the room and insulate the whole thing?

Andrew

Edit: didn't see in the op where you said how thick plywood.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AndrewMays,
Dec 05, 2013, 05:49 PM
Jaybee
If you are going to use it for storage than go ahead and install a pull down stair. Then you have a hole large enough for 4x8 sheets. I'd go with 3/4" Advantec.

Jaybee