DIY Message Boards
Remodeling existing tub surround

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4291013504/m/5063991967

Mar 26, 2013, 09:28 AM
Smallz215
Remodeling existing tub surround
I have a few questions. We are currently in the process of remodeling our bathroom. We are now working on the existing Tub surround. Its a bath fitter tub surroung and we are doing pebble tile instead, but just on the floor. My question is, can we cut the floor out of the tub surround, lay self levelor, let it dry then lay the pebble tiles?
Mar 26, 2013, 05:44 PM
Jaybee
I'm not sure if I have a clear 100% picture of what you want to do but it sounds like you have a fiberglass or cultured marble tub and you want to tile in a pebble floor? If so, then probably will not work - at least, not for long. The problem being that you may have adhesion issues and/or odor from water trapped between the tile and the original tub.

Not sure what you mean by 'cut the floor out' but that would be a really bad idea if you mean to cut out the bottom of the tub.

But then again, I may not really understand what you are trying to do. Any pics?

Jaybee
Mar 26, 2013, 07:11 PM
Smallz215
Well you are right I will have adhesion problems, I just didnt know if there were anyway to save the surround, like on the walls, and just cut out the bottom of the shower. We dont have a tub its just a standing shower. We didnt want to have to completely take the surround out, we wanted to save the walls and re-do the floor part. Wasnt sure if we could cut out the floor and lay self levelor. Its concrete slab under the surround right now. People we have talked to said we will probably have to remove the whole surround which we were hoping not. What do you think?
Mar 27, 2013, 12:20 AM
Jaybee
Ahhh, now that's a different situation.

Yes, you can save a tile surround while rebuilding the base. The short version is that you remove the base and the lower 6" or so of surround tile. Then you can rebuild the base and cut that lower row of tile to fit into the new dimensions.

Of course, it's harder than that. First, if you have to completely rebuild the base and if you have never done it before then strongly consider having a pro do it. There are a couple of ways to build a base correctly and a whole bunch of ways to get it wrong. If you are starting from scratch, the from your solid floor you will have a pitched base, then a vinyl liner, then an interior sloped mortar base, then tile. Your liner must go up the wall by at least 6".

Now, if the base is still sound and you just want to add that pebbled base, then you can remove the old tile, repair any mortar damage with a skim coat and install the pebbles. Finally, add that lower run of surround tile back in place.

So it can be done but it can get tricky. Do an accurate assessment of your skill level before tackling this one.

Jaybee
Mar 27, 2013, 08:45 AM
Smallz215
Ok great! I think we are going to have a professional do it, but at least we know it can be done. Youve been a great help, thanks so much!

Heather