All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Looking for Renovation Assistance
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Looking for Renovation Assistance Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'm in the middle of a full house renovation that I'm doing myself and I need some help! Take a look at my project details and help out if you can! Every little bit makes a difference! Thank you so much. Smile Lisa

http://igg.me/at/LeadvilleHouse/x/5365966

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        This has been up for a few days now so I'm going to go ahead and respond.

While there is nothing wrong with what you are doing all this is is asking for others to finance your project. If you read may of the posts on these boards a common theme is that many have projects that they want / need to get done yet they don't have enough money to do so. Lots of people live in old houses, many of those houses are in historic sections of their communities. It would be nice for any of them to have some 'free money' to help with renovations. For many of these same people they need help to renovate the house they have lived in for quite a while - those funds will come from savings or by borrowing and paying things off over time.

That's your competition - and it's a lot of people. I don't hold any ill will towards you or your project, but it appears you purchased this house knowing that you could not afford to do the renovations without asking for donations. I'm sure you see it as a worthy cause, but it's nowhere near as worthy as the renovation needs of millions of others out there who were already living in a home that needs more and more work to remain livable.

Jaybee

Posts: 10327 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I wasn't even going to follow the link, looked spammy to me. She posted at HGTV as well.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 731 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I did check the link, by copying the URL into a Google search bar so I could tell if the site was safe before I checked it out. It was, Norton verified.

Tried again today and the site is gone, or redirected, but whatever was on it isn't there today. There might be a way to find the photos but I don't have my Sherlock hat on today.

The site when available showed a few photos of a building in various stages of demoliton/reconstruction, with a woman who inferredly was Leadville Lisa.

On the side were lists of "gifts" for donors. As I remember she was asking for $30K, with various gifts (jacket, other stuff) for donors.

I thought it (a) very peculiar that she could afford to offer gifts in return for donations, and (b) too slick and well planned to be legitimate.

There was no indication in detail what her past or current financial situation was, how she estimated the amount she felt was needed, how she intended (if she did) to provide updates to the donors, and basically: no accountability whatsoever.

Her pitch was similar to that of Beltway Bandit fundraisers: good person doing good works, undertaking valuable project, spending her own money, now needs help, so please open your wallets.

I thought it was a scam and still do. In fact I was thinking of contacting the Colorado attorney general to advise him of her fund raising solicitation and alert him to the fact that perhaps this is something that should be investigated.

Can't do that now - she seems to have disappeared. Hmmm...wonder why?

Update: found this, which includes 2 of the photos on the site of the link she posted:

http://www.reportcrowd.com/com...-One-House-At-A-Time

And these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNGZCwWsoH0
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfOJQO2J-QM

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1917 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        alas, seeking money or customers on the forums without paying advertising rates to Scripps Multimedia is... spam. prohibited.

these boards are up to pass along tips and indirectly promote Scripps. that's their rules, folks. none of the "stars" with a rare exception post or read these things. it's just DIYers with varying degrees of skill and/or luck, with the odd pro lending a hand.

Ms. Leadville loses one Genuine Internet Point, and has the ability to try and earn Genuine Internet Points in the future by following the rules.

disclaimer: sign is Aquarius with Pisces rising. this means I am all wet, and everything I do is a little fishy.......

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5749 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        It seems like a personal kickstarter campaign. the link still works for me, just checked. However, so far she's only gotten $1 towards her $20K goal. That should be some kind of indicator as to how people view this.

Jaybee

Posts: 10327 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SpaPartsPlace
        posted Hide Post
        You need to set the things which you ought to prioritize regarding your home renovation and stick to them. Before deciding on a major decision for home renovation, it may be helpful to first consult with an expert builder or architect who can tell you about your home's weak and strong points.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post