DIY Message Boards
What to do with fireplace?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4291013504/m/5003940677

Dec 12, 2013, 05:51 PM
Rotten Rotties
What to do with fireplace?
I really don't like the stone facade on this fireplace. it's filthy, and I don't like it. Any suggestions for things that would be relatively easy to do that would look better? I would like it to be warm and inviting, without the mirror. The fireplace does sit in the corner of the room, and I want it to be the focal point. Thinking of maybe putting a flat screen mount on the top.. but still undecided about that. The fireplace is used often in the winter. Right now it is the only heat source.

Current Fireplace

Dec 12, 2013, 10:25 PM
SturdyNail
Do you watch Rehab Addict? I recently saw an episode where Nicole Curtis, along with a very skilled craftsman, did an amazing makeover of a corner fireplace.
I don't have the vision that Nicole has, but it strikes me that she captured and amplified the look and feel of the house she was working on. So, I think that, whatever you do, do it with an eye toward the long term vision you have for your home.

By the way, what IS that facade made from? I understand why you'd want to replace it, but don't be too hasty.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:51 PM
Rotten Rotties
quote:
on

The facade appears to be thinset with 1" think flat stones attached. I have no idea how else to explain it. I get to see Rehab addict occasionally. I'll see if I can find that episode. I saw an episode of a flipping show this evening.. and since the wall on the right of the fireplace leads to the kitchen. I might use the same granite/quartz from the kitchen on the hearth.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rotten Rotties,