All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Dropped Ceiling
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Dropped Ceiling Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am almost finished the framing portion of my basement bathroom remodel project. All that remains is hiding the overhead plumbing from the upstairs bathroom and kitchen.

I think this would typically be accomplished with a soffit, but the overhead clutter extends about 48" into the room and the total depth of the room is 64".

I have 8' ceilings and I only need to drop down 8" to hide everything. I imagine the easiest solution would be to install 2x4 framing spanning the entire width of the room, but before I proceed:

1. Will 2x4 construction (two end plates, joists every 16") be sufficient or do I need to use 2x6's?
        2. Do I need to support the span anywhere other that where the framing meets the walls?

Thanks,

-Erik

This message has been edited. Last edited by: estoneberg,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You can use 2x4's but they will need to be supported at one central point in addition to on the ends.

Jaybee

Posts: 10131 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post