All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Basement Foundation
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Basement Foundation Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a 80 year old home that I'm starting to do some remodels and upgrades and I'm not really sure where to start or what i have to do. when i purchased the home the old couple had the home moved from up the street to its new location where it sits now its very out dated and i think i wanna start in the basement and work my way up. the major issue i think i have is the wall looks like it was repaired in the past I'm not sure what I'm gonna see when i remove the old work bench I'm concerned with what i will find. I'm not looking to complete or make anything more with my basement other then my weight equipment. i have a mess of things running up on the ceiling i was thinking of upgrading the wiring fuse box and wires as well as my oil boiler with new windows so basically i am unsure what i should be more concerned about i know nothing and do intend on hiring people with the know how but would like a little understanding what i am looking at so i know what questions to ask etc any help will be awesome…..

Posts: 9 | Location: Upstate New York | Registered: Jan 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Unless the basements filling up with water that would be the last thing I'd be working on.
        Far more important things to be worked on first.
        Always start on the outside first. Not going to do any good if there's leaks ruining all your work.
        What condition is the roof and flashings in?
        Gutters, siding.
        Old two wire wiring, undersized panel box, recalled panel box, wiring not to code?
        Old steel supply pipes at some point always leak and rust out from the inside out so they close up on the inside reducing flow.
        Before changing the windows figure out if you plan on also changing the siding. There's an order it needs to be done if it's siding and windows.

joecaption

Posts: 18032 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        fix the stuff first that requires the most damage to get to. always without fail, foundation and roof issues that need fixing, get them now. why risk everything else because you had a basement leak or were missing ten shingles and had a hole in the deck?

next... plumbing. a leaky stack means tearing a bunch of walls out, and it's a first class health and fire hazard. low-flow rusty galvanized pipe is also a destroyer of liveability and value, get them too. PEX is becoming the preferred replacement.

next, "tarball" wiring and ancient fuse panels. you don't have to tear out whole sections of wall for this, but it's expensive and you will have lots of "handhold" patches. ancient insulation on wiring is a fire waiting to happen, and the insulation blocks in old fuse panels never get better with age. if by chance that's a Frank Adam, get quotes now, they crumble.

once the mechanicals are up to date, and you have verified the floors are level and strong enough to meet code, then you can work on the pretty stuff like in the magazine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5820 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        well what about the basement windows should i have them repaired first i am getting dampness and bubbles in paint on the wall (its sinderblocks) should i get windows and repaint with dry lock ? then move on to like the roof and gutters ? or just do roof and gutters first

Posts: 9 | Location: Upstate New York | Registered: Jan 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        also i have had roof repairs a few years ago its a slate roof and I'm now noticing some water damage on my ceiling does i don't know what insurance covers if anything I'm new to all this i really have no idea what should be done

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Sounds like you have a whole host of possible issues. It would be a good idea to hire a local contractor to just take a quick survey of your house and make recommendations. If you want to do this on the cheap, you could get good results if you have a friend with building knowledge willing to do the same thing.

A water lead via the roof is high priority and should be looked at ASAP. Insurance normally covers damage from an event but not from lack of maintenance. So a tree falling through your roof during a rainstorm and causing water damage should be covered, but leaking flashing not so much. Best bet here would be a quick call to your local agent, as they could accurately tell you what your homeowners policy does or does not cover.

Jaybee

Posts: 10425 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post