DIY Message Boards
Worn tile in the kitchen

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4291013504/m/3983951967

Mar 24, 2013, 06:58 PM
photoladee
Worn tile in the kitchen
We have tile counters and backsplash in our kitchen that are 20+ years old. The grout is coming undone, the tiles are cracked and there are gaps between the tile and the cabinets and appliances. What is the best (and least expensive) way to replace the tile? Ideally we would like solid counters with a tiled backsplash.

Mar 24, 2013, 08:05 PM
Jaybee
It's hard to get 'best' and 'least expensive' in the same sentence.

Least expensive would be to cut out the damaged tiles and find a perfect match. Remove the grout, replace the damaged tiles and then regrout.

Beyond that, you are looking at an entire new counter top and back splash. No doubt this would be the best solution, but it will also get expensive. I'd get some local quotes so you have some dollar figures to help you with your decision as to what to do. Don't bother with big box stores for counter tops, go directly to any local counter top manufacturers.

Jaybee
Mar 28, 2013, 02:37 AM
Christine Welby
Hi @photoladee! My opinion would be to replace all the countertop and backsplash.

As @Jaybee said, you could replace the damaged tiles, but considering that they are over 20 years old, I don’t know if you can find a perfect match.

If you want to replace the damaged tile or the whole thing, you can use a tile adhesive such as Bondera Tile MatSet to install them. I don’t think it’s that expensive and you can do it yourself.
Apr 10, 2013, 04:33 AM
lesliemorris85
Normally, simply replacing the cracked ones and replacing the grout are enough. But with tiles that old, there probably are other damages that you can’t see but might affect new tiles you put in. Better get the whole counter replaced.