DIY Network

All Projects

TV Projects

    What Do You Want To Work On?

      What Activity Do You Want To Do?


        Available Projects

        Get Results

        DIY Network /

        Message Boards

            DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    help in boston
        help in boston Sign In/Join 
        Im looking into moving my family back into my moms home. In order to do that the house needs a major renovation . My mom has basically taken care of a home on her own for 35 years, needless to say, nothin has been fixed correctly or remodeled. Im doing this to hopefully finally have a home of my own and take care of my mom at same time. There is major work in just about every area. Complete kitchen remodel, whole 2nd floor renovation, the yard is a complete disaster and basement was flooded, to the point FEMA had to take everyone out in boats.
        Do any of your shows ever come to the Boston area? Please help!
        Posts: 1 | Location: Melrose, Ma | Registered: Aug 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Not going to happen. You can apply on the DIY home page but the odds of getting on a show are lottery-like long. Nobody from DIY watches this board for potential homeowners.

        Start figuring out a budget and shop around for a local contractor.

        Posts: 10411 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        hopefully you know the high-water point in the basement. everything below that will need to be replaced... furnace, heater, maybe the electrical panel, certainly all outlets/switches etc. if it was finished, you have to replace finished surfaces at least a couple inches above the waterline, and who knows what the rest looks like until you strip that.

        the rest has to be cleaned and sanitized before you put any of the new stuff in. you will need a dumpster, and a lot of that stuff is code-covered and needs permits, which usually means contractors.

        if there is foundation damage from standing water or turgor pressure from wet soil outside, that comes before any of the pretty goes back in.

        you need an on-site professional to eyeball what damages exist, so start calling around for estimates.

        flooding (hoovers) and there's no two ways around it. if you are in a flood zone, federal flood insurance will be required if you are going to insure or finance anything.

        sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
        Posts: 5806 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Does your mother in fact have flood insurance? And is she in a flood zone?

        Given that this is your mother's home and you're moving your family back into it, I think the first priority should be what's best for your mother. How old is she? Does she need handicapped accommodations?

        She may not care about something like a complete kitchen remodel but may be more interested in accessibility accommodations.

        If she's classified as low income, there may be some help through Melrose administration with HUD grants, especially for the critical areas such as safety and hygiene as a result of the flood.
        Posts: 1924 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
          Powered by Social Strata  

            DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    help in boston

        © Scripps Networks 2009


        Posting Guidelines

        • Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
        • No off-topic or off-color postings.
        • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of DIY moderators.
        • No advertising is allowed.
        • Be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
        • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political or religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by DIY.

        Full Guidelines

        For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.